Will Francis restore our liturgy?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Will Francis restore our liturgy?

Post by Nick Baty »

I am becoming the number one fan of Francis, Bishop of Rome.
musicus

Re: Will Francis restore our liturgy?

Post by musicus »

Inevitably, another point of view: http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2 ... e-worship/

Here's the link that has prompted this: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/ ... nted-soon/

It's all speculation, of course. Today - the Solemnity of SS Peter and Paul - had been thought a good day to make the announcement.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Ian Coleman
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by Ian Coleman »

No need! Like an ancient cathedral, it (or parts of it) are continually being restored...
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Good analogy. Sadly, part of the building was destroyed three years ago and will take some serious rebuilding.
JW

Post by JW »

Not sure that speculating does much good. There's much too much speculation (and not only regarding religious issues) in our culture - look at any issue of 'Newsnight'. As far as I'm concerned speculation is an entertainment, sometimes fun but more often having damaging consequences. We tend to consider it our human right to nose into everything and anything.

This Pope has said quite a bit but, to date, has done very little. The strapline quote from the Pope on the Vatican website today is "A Christian is never bored or sad. (My italics.) Rather, the one who loves Christ is full of joy and radiates joy." What about the unemployed, the housebound, the hungry, the prisoner, the bereaved, and all those others struggling to carry the cross which has been allocated to them? This quote excludes me from Christianity because there are times when I am bored or sad, sometimes both at the same time. It also cuts across the sentiments of many of the psalms ("Lord, relent! is your anger for ever? Show pity to your servants" Ps. 89). Should we speculate that this quote means that Pope Francis would like to see our liturgies always full of joy and radiating joy along the lines of Evangelical worship? I think not.

Let's just wait and see what the Pope actually does.
JW