Farewell Mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Farewell Mass

Post by musicus »

Our music team has been asked to plan a 'farewell Mass' on a weekday evening for a departing parish priest (who will preside). Does anyone have any experience or any suggestions to offer. We asked about readings and so forth but nothing has been decided, so we got the distinct impression that it's up to us! (The readings of the Mass of the day are singularly irrelevant, by the way.)

Any help would be appreciated.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Farewell Mass

Post by VML »

I think we used 'On Eagle's Wings' for such a celebration. Quite a while ago, can't remember any more.
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

musicus wrote:We asked about readings and so forth but nothing has been decided, so we got the distinct impression that it's up to us!
I'm not sure how you could begin without these: I'd hustle for action!
musicus

Post by musicus »

Thanks, everyone. We (the music team) have settled on the Mass 'For Priests' in the Missal's Masses and Prayers for Various Needs and Occasions, and made a selection from the wide choice of readings prescribed for it. Now we can choose suitable music. This is not our preferred way of working, but we are in an 'inter-regnum' and have been given carte blanche!
blog
musicus

Post by musicus »

Update from the left-hand-not-knowing-what-the-right-hand-is-doing department: when I presented my recommendations today I was told that the retiring PP had, in fact, been in touch (at last) and made his wishes known!

Why do we bother?
blog
Dom Perignon
Parish / Diocese: SSG Moderator

Post by Dom Perignon »

'Twas ever thus, my esteemed colleague!
Forum Moderator
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

'Twas ever thus, my esteemed colleague!

Indeedy-doody.
:D
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Presuming that your time with this parish priest has been a positive one my own setting of st augustine's song of farewell to his gathered monks may be of interest. It has the most tear-jerkingly trite melody and harmonization to a fine text and induces floods of tears if exposed for too long. Would be able to send this when I'm back in uk on Wednesday but doing music for national J&p conference from Friday. Send me an address or pm me.
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

What might you provide for the new incumbent? Something from judas maccabeus perhaps?
musicus

Post by musicus »

HallamPhil wrote:Presuming that your time with this parish priest has been a positive one my own setting of st augustine's song of farewell to his gathered monks may be of interest. It has the most tear-jerkingly trite melody and harmonization to a fine text and induces floods of tears if exposed for too long. Would be able to send this when I'm back in uk on Wednesday but doing music for national J&p conference from Friday. Send me an address or pm me.

Many thanks, Phil - but the deed is already done and he is despatched. But I will make a mental note for the next time...
blog
musicus

Post by musicus »

HallamPhil wrote:What might you provide for the new incumbent? Something from judas maccabeus perhaps?

Tempting! But any hint of triumphalism (or chicken counting) would be inappropriate :D
blog