Sede Vacante and the Liturgy

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Southern Comfort

Re: Sede Vacante and the Liturgy

Post by Southern Comfort »

Gwyn wrote:The prayers at the foot of the altar in the Trad Mass are beautiful and now sadly denied us.

Those prayers are Psalm 42(43). Not denied at all! Or has someone banned the psalms at Mass and not told us? And check the back of the Lectionary to see how often parts of that psalm crop up....
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

We are singing this on Sunday (at St. Dunstan's, Kings Heath) as the comm. Antiphon / Psalm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scn_dEYYvkk

As the post-comm. we are singing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdY4Nx0EprI
Last edited by johnquinn39 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

Nick Baty wrote: I have no idea what "hosts" means.

Bob Monkhouse / Les Dennis / Bruce Forsyth?
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

This my favourite version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdAHP_9_0RQ

Would love to have the resources do this.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

... actually we'd be celebrating in Aramaic, with Greek for the recklessly modern.
I daren't put in print my true feelings about the version we have now - I fear a ban would descend that would be longer than this lifetime. Suffice it to say that I have a private "Percy Grainger Award" for prayers that go the furthest in their avoidance of Anglo-saxon rooted vocabulary. So far the list is bulging.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

johnquinn39 wrote:This my favourite version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdAHP_9_0RQ

Would love to have the resources do this.

The very devil to keep in tune, with all those bluesy 7ths.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

alan29 wrote:I daren't put in print my true feelings about the version we have now....
You would simply be voicing the thoughts of many of us who remember the days of liturgy in English!
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Yes, I had noted that Ps 42 gets regular airings, but there is something lovely about it when recited at the beginning of the Trad Mass.
BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Post by BobHayes »

musicus wrote:give us a noble, simple and correct English vernacular translation?

Therein lies a conundrum: in the world of global communications 'correct English' and 'vernacular' both become rather nebulous and often at odds. The global influence of the US, marketing and business-speak all contribute to a constant evolution of the 'English' language. Achieving a form of words that can be understood and used by 'ordinary people' - who are certainly not a homogeneous bloc in our multicultural and highly mobile society - is an enormous challenge. I suspect that any such translation would require revision with each passing generation: is that a desirable goal?
Bob
musicus

Post by musicus »

Desirable? yes - in many ways; but impractical, certainly.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

BobHayes wrote:Achieving a form of words that can be understood and used by 'ordinary people' - who are certainly not a homogeneous bloc in our multicultural and highly mobile society - is an enormous challenge.
One which the compilers of the present translation appear to have had no interest in meeting, albeit their hands were tied by Liturgiam Authenticam which makes a positive virtue of achieving the opposite. "International" English is characterised by a simplification of vocabulary, syntax and so on. Despite that, it is still a sufficiently precise tool for use as the lingua franca of contemporary business, science, technology (and a host of other fields of which I know less). As usual, the Curia knows better - intelligibility not required.
Paul Hodgetts
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Yesterday was the anniversary of the first use of the 1549 Book of Common Prayer.
It gave a certain frisson to the Opening Prayer, oops, sorry Collect ....... O God, from whom all good things come.
Close, but no cigar.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

JW wrote:...
While on the Eucharistic Prayer, if the church didn't adapt the Mass over the centuries, we would only be using EP1.

And we like sheep...
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

While on the Eucharistic Prayer, if the church didn't adapt the Mass over the centuries, we would only be using EP1.

No probs there then?