Happy Birthday Wagner!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Re: Happy Birthday Wagner!

Post by musicus »

Southern Comfort wrote:
Nick Baty wrote:can we forgive composers for using music to promote such nauseating philosophies.

Well, you'll probably have to stop listening to quite a lot of music if you go down that road. Richard Strauss is the first name that springs to mind.

This is a very interesting question, and one that would probably not have arisen in earlier times when composers and artists were content to sign themselves (as it were) 'anonymous'. For the past four hundred years or so it has become difficult to separate the artist from the art. Eric Gill is an especially challenging case, not least because his life is writ so large in his work. His biographer, Fiona MacCarthy (2006), discusses the question here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/ ... 22/art.art
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
alan29

Post by alan29 »

musicus wrote:
alan29 wrote:What about Bach who had 24 kids and practised every night on the spinet upstairs?

Or, as I heard it put once, "the spinster".

Thats the one.
Could always sing some Grainger - pay for it with a whip-round?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Please don't leave it there. Tell more!
JW

Post by JW »

Er, back to the subject (I think :?: ), I have this mental image of the Pope being carried into St Peter's on the sedia gestatoria, accompanied by "The Ride of the Valkyries""! :?
JW
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

JW wrote:on the sedia gestatoria
Is that an edible chair?