Last holy communions

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Last holy communions

Post by johnquinn39 »

Over at Pray Tell ....

'Here are some examples of poor liturgical practices I experienced:

for the Responsorial Psalm each verse was read by a different child;
multiple symbolic gifts were not only brought up during the Preparation of the Gifts, but this action was accompanied by an explanation of each gift;
a group of children was invited to come forward to sing the Our Father;
the communion procession began with the children, accompanied by their parents for their photo op as they received the Body of Christ;
the choir sang during communion, with no congregational singing;
after communion, the children were again invited to come forward, and strategically placed in front of the altar. They sang a “meditation hymn” and applause followed.'

The above is close to what happens in the parish where I serve.

There seems to be no link between the above and the liturgy of the Church.

What are 'Last holy communions' like in other parishes?
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re: Last holy communions

Post by HallamPhil »

If you have skills and observations to offer, John, do you not think they might better be deployed in direct advice to your neighbouring parish rather than occupying this website with unnecessary and very public lampoons?
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

Not a lampoon
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

I have the impression that a good proportion of John's posts arise from a real sense of frustration that things are so dire in his neck of the woods, with no apparent prospect of change.

And the thread at Pray Tell (http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2013/05/06/the-celebration-of-first-communion-and-the-eclipse-of-liturgical-practice/) demonstrates that things can be just as bad, or even worse, in other parts of the world. We are not alone!
musicus

Post by musicus »

Very true, SC. And I am sure that I am not the only one among us who has 'shaken the dust from his feet' and moved elsewhere, due to lack of support (he says, having just clocked-up 11 years in his 'new' post).
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

At the FHC of our grandson in Somerset last year, the gathering hymn was Jesus Thou art coming, then the PP announced that this was a very solemn occasion particularly for the children receiving Our Lord for the first time. It was therefore, he said, NOT a photo opportunity.
The Gloria was from Chris Walker's Mass of St Paul the Apostle.
I have fought here in our own parish not to have the children speak the psalm, but I have won on the Alleluia, :D , and the rest is a proper sung Mass. The photographer, (since we have to have one :wink: ) is very discreet and reverent.
The catechesis here is excellent, and we manage to keep many of the families coming for most Sundays.
It's not all bad.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Our parishes solution is to do the formation in house and to spread the first communions across several Sundays, just a couple at a time, with the normal musical fare - isn't this what we are meant to be introducing them into? "Gypsy Wedding" style outfits are heavily discouraged by the catechists.
There are some benefits to not having a parish primary school.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

It is schools that need the guidance. Quite a long time ago I mentioned to the school that my daughter would not be wearing a white dress, just an ordinary blue and white summer dress she had chosen to wear. They had quiet word with me saying that she might feel that she stood out if she did not wear a white dress.
We bought a white dress. Just a simple dress, nothing elaborate. From then on my kids had a simple white dress so as not to upset anyone.
In our parish nowadays the school does their thing on Saturday morning and the children make their Second Holy Communion on Sunday with the parish. It is a much better arrangement.
We have less children involved now because if they do not come to church from Christmas to the big Day then they are not offered the sacrament. They would have to do it later if they want to go for it.
uh oh!