We used to have a 'sermon'... (from the Q and A page)

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Benevenio wrote:.. from the Office for Sermon Inspection...

Well speaking as one who took a solemn oath to preach, teach and uphold Catholic doctrine prior to ordination as Deacon - it would indeed be a sin were I to divert from that.
Deacon

We used to have a sermon

Post by Deacon »

Presbyter wrote: Am I always making the hearts of disciples burn within them? I wish I were. But I do wonder if the faithful have much (or any) sense that the homily has this sacramental quality by virtue of the sacrament of Holy Orders.

Preaching is a most demanding task. Good preparation is vital if it is to be effective. I find that I have to start ages before I preach, by reading the SS for the day of the homily, checking with commentaries to help with the hard bits and letting it cook slowly on the back-burner so that ideas of 'the subject' rise to the surface. Only then can I sit down to sort out what to go with. (After reading a lot of Denis McBride's stuff on SS, I'm getting that knack of approaching SS sideways on, as a means of illuminating my own experience and concerns in faith. The H.Spirit makes me burn frequently and SS really does touch the sinews.)
HOWEVER, there still remains the task of concentrating it all into a 7 minute package - max. Our congregation only ever comment on duration!
:? Felicitations, D.

PS: 1. How do you highlight your refs to previous comments?
2. My attempts to use an identity image keep failing. Help the disadvantaged!
admin
Site Admin

Quotes and Avatars

Post by admin »

ps 1: use the quote buttons - PM sent with further details.
ps 2: I guess that your picture is too big. House rules state: Avatars You can upload your own, or link to external ones. They should be no bigger than 80 pixels square and less than 7KB. If you still have problems, PM me, or email me the file and I'll sort it out for you.
The Management
sidvicius

What?

Post by sidvicius »

Sorry, Deacon - bit confused here - "SS"? Is this some form of clerical code?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

SS = Sacred Scriptures

It could be how we are to refer to "The Readings" in accordance with Liturgiam Authenticam. Everything has to be holy, noble, venerable, now or God won't deign to speak to us anymore. I hope this is a helpful oblation. :wink:
sidvicius

The preceding "oblation" (?)

Post by sidvicius »

It is, thank you - although, alas, I am not of divine status.

Now - continuing the loose thread - Q1 to Presbyter. When you say 'could be', do you mean SS could also mean something else?

Q2 to Deacon. If you go through all that, and all your congregation ever comment on is the duration, maybe you're trying too hard?

Why not try an experiment: as a one-off, let the Holy Spirit in your heart do the talking.

No notes, No prep, just the readings in the Lectionary as your aide memoire. Something tells me you'd get a pretty pithy homily, and you'd save a fortune in time.

Sound too difficult? Which is easier? Sweating for hours over careful research or putting your trust in the Lord? You'll never know until you try it.
presbyter

Re: The preceding "oblation" (?)

Post by presbyter »

sidvicius wrote:as a one-off, let the Holy Spirit in your heart do the talking.

Most weekdays I do this but not Sat/Sun. "Pithy" is fine - but one also has to pray for the grace to know when to shut up and not ramble!
sidvicius

Post by sidvicius »

Yes - it's a bit like trying to maintain the threads in this forum!