M&L Apr 2013

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

M&L Apr 2013

Post by JW »

Another excellent issue, full of food for thought, from the suggestion of a "silence survey" in the editorial, through Martin Foster's positive assessment of "The Liturgical Legacy of Pope Benedict XVI, to the new way of listing hymns in the Liturgy Planner, not to mention articles on antiphons vs. hymns and the use of psychometric testing as a tool to help spiritual growth (!!)

I do, however, have a couple of concerns:

(1) There is an excellent article by Paul Inwood on "Theology and Communion Songs" which categorically states that some of the Communion Processional songs in Laudate are not appropriate for the Communion Procession. I was surprised that there was no response to this article from Stephen Dean. Was he made aware of the content of this article beforehand and was he given the opportunity to reply; or does he agree entirely with Paul Inwood's argument?

(2) "How to give a blessing at Communion" argues that we should follow the example of Pope Francis in blessing journalists. Has the church not issued any guidance on this matter? If it has, what is the guidance?
JW
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: M&L Apr 2013

Post by Nick Baty »

JW wrote:There is an excellent article by Paul Inwood on "Theology and Communion Songs" which categorically states that some of the Communion Processional songs in Laudate are not appropriate for the Communion Procession.
I read that this morning and didn't see it as being an attack on Laudate in any way. Paul appears to have taken a section from a well-known hymnal so that we, I presume, can peruse and agree or differ!
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

JW wrote:(2) "How to give a blessing at Communion" argues that we should follow the example of Pope Francis in blessing journalists. Has the church not issued any guidance on this matter? If it has, what is the guidance?

The Bishops of England & Wales have issued the following "Pastoral Guidance" in para 212 of Celebrating the Mass. (This document contains no official seal of approval from the Holy See, though it does have a Foreword by a then English Bishop who now finds himself in the Roman Curia.)

The Bishops wrote:Blessings and Spiritual Communion
212 Even though some in the assembly may not receive ‘sacramental’ Communion, all are united in some way by the Holy Spirit. The traditional idea of ‘spiritual’ Communion is an important one to remember and reaffirm. The invitation often given at Mass to those who may not receive sacramental Communion – for example, children before their First Communion and adults who are not Catholics – to receive a ‘blessing’ at the moment of Communion emphasises that a deep spiritual communion is possible even when we do not share together the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ.
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
JW

Post by JW »

Thanks for pointing that out FrGareth. Two things interest me about the 'Celebrating the Mass' statement. First that the word 'blessing' is in quotations (why - is it because blessings are the competence of clergy? - not something I personally agree with BTW). if it isn't a blessing then perhaps we should call it something else. Second, there is no instruction on how the blessing should be given.

M&L seems to suggest that, in the light of Pope Francis' blessing of journalists, we should perhaps consider of whether it is appropriate to give a Trinitarian blessing, or even mention God at all! Personally, I suspect the Pope wasn't trying to set a precedent for blessings at Communion, though of course I may well be wrong.
JW
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

JW wrote:Thanks for pointing that out FrGareth. Two things interest me about the 'Celebrating the Mass' statement. First that the word 'blessing' is in quotations (why - is it because blessings are the competence of clergy? - not something I personally agree with BTW).

Catechism of the Catholic Church wrote:1669 Sacramentals derive from the baptismal priesthood: every baptized person is called to be a "blessing," and to bless. Hence lay people may preside at certain blessings; the more a blessing concerns ecclesial and sacramental life, the more is its administration reserved to the ordained ministry (bishops, priests, or deacons).

May the laity bless? Yes.

Is it appropriate for them to bless in this context when there is a priest somewhere in the room?

One might argue the priest is "impeded" by being busy with another queue. It could be argued either way.

An alternative solution might be for non-communicants to approach the minister, whether ordinary or extraordinary, and rather than the minister making any gesture of blessing, for the non-communicant to make a personal act of reverence to the Blessed Sacrament.
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

FrGareth wrote:An alternative solution might be for non-communicants to approach the minister, whether ordinary or extraordinary, and rather than the minister making any gesture of blessing, for the non-communicant to make a personal act of reverence to the Blessed Sacrament.

And that is precisely the problem. If the non-communicant does not believe in the Real Presence, then asking them to make a gesture of reverence to the Blessed Sacrament is most probably counter-productive. The non-communicant, by approaching in the procession and requesting a blessing, is probably manifesting a belief in the power of the community, or manifesting a reaction to the beneficial effect that the celebration has generated in the individual. The Blessed Sacrament will come much later on this journey, if journey it is.

When I read bishops suggesting that non-communicants make an act of spiritual communion, I realize that they just don't get it. Holy Communion is probably the last thing in these people's minds, although being in communion with those around them probably will be.

I therefore think a welcoming gesture on the part of the minister, whether ordained or not, is vital. Whether this needs to be a blessing gesture, or ought to be, is a moot point.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

We find that this happens most often at funerals and weddings where non-believing/communicant guests might well want to express solidarity with the families. It is good that the church feels able to encompass that genuine desire by inviting them to participate in a way that both they and the church feels comfortable with. In my experience most guests gladly accept that invitation ... to the point that the communion procession contains a small minority of communicants ....... what does that do to music choices, I wonder.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Musical choices? Funerals? Who has a choice at Communion for a funeral?! Not the MD in my experience. Definitely Communicants are in the minority at Requiems, blessings, quite a few, usually get back to the organ just in time for hymn. Blessings? As our old PP still says, 'It's all catechesis.'
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Have to say the "spiritual communion" idea doesn't come onto many people's radar at all. A blessing is a good sign - I well recall an interfaith walk which started in the cathedral and nearly everybody whatever their faith came up for a blessing from the Archbishop. In India I understand many Hindus attend Midnight Mass and do the same.
I have drawn attention to the society's survey in another post.
Something that I could have added to my article is the "in your face" nature of the church in India. If they are having an ordination they advertise it. If there is a relic in the church there is a big sign outside saying so! Religion is in the air in India - sacred and secular intermingle -everything is sacred!