New Pope

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re: New Pope

Post by HallamPhil »

You might have expected JPII to have canonised more than Benedict XVI partly due to the length of years he was in office but also as a response to Vatican II's encouragement of inculturation. In this context many parts of the world were enabled to have saints who were born in their nation rather than imported from Europe.

Sometimes it is only in hindsight that we value the gift of the Holy Spirit in the lives of all of us, let alone Popes.
JW

Post by JW »

Sorry, I was wrong about canonizations. According to Wikipedia, Pope John Paul II canonized 91 and Pope Benedict 41 - so the rate increased in Pope Benedict's papacy. I am counting a block of saints (e.g. the Chinese martyrs) as one. The vast majority (over 70 of Pope John Paul's and over 30 of Pope Benedict's) are Europeans. Italian and French saints predominate. It is indeed to be hoped that more Saints from Latin America, Africa, Asia and India are canonized in due course.

Perhaps there could be a moratorium for a few years on canonizing Europeans to give the others a chance to catch up. Doesn't Europe have enough saints to look up to?

It seems that the new Pope was bequeathed 3 canonizations to perform at the consistory when Pope Benedict resigned. They are the 800 martyrs of Otranto in Italy; Bl Laura of St Catherine of Sienna who was Colombian and Bl Maria Guadalupe Garcia Zavala who was Mexican. Their canonization is scheduled for 12 May 1913 at St Peter's.
JW
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

IncenseTom wrote:I watched it on Euronews almost uninterrupted, apart from the odd advert. When this happened I had it streaming on my laptop so flicked between the two.

Whilst everyone is praising his simplicity, I have to say, I was saddened that he didn't sing any of the Priests parts (dialogues, etc) as Benedict would have done, (I know he has one lung and this may impede his singing) and it all seemed to feel like a 'said Mass' with the addition of a fine choir.

Is there a danger that some will see this and revert to more of a 'said Mass' culture (albeit with sung parts of the Mass) and neglect those parts which the new Missal encourages Priests to sing, citing the Papal liturgies as precedent?

I do hope i'm not putting a negative spin on things for people but I'm such a fan of the Pope Emeritus I think it will take me a while to get used to anyone!

The following has made me feel much more hopeful and positive about things (although know some may disagree with some points raised in the article)
http://www.chantcafe.com/2013/03/is-cha ... er_15.html
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

I have to say that it appears that tha above blog, together with a number of others, is mainly preoccupied with whether they can continue to celebrate in the Tridentine Rite in Latin, and/or sing Latin plainchant. They have clearly not grasped that Pope Francis is asking us to do something else: to live as people of the Gospel, espousing Gospel values, rather than all the ritual fripperies that these bloggists are so obsessed with. A broader vision is what is being called for.

Fortunately their adherents are comparatively few in number. One of the distortions that has resulted from the blogosphere is that the splinter groups appear much more significant than they actually are. Because every blog has the same potential exposure on the internet, regardless of the number of participants, it means that a blog with, say 20 adherents, appears to be equal in status to one with 20,000, simply because it is there. The reality is quite different.
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

Southern Comfort wrote:I have to say that it appears that tha above blog, together with a number of others, is mainly preoccupied with whether they can continue to celebrate in the Tridentine Rite in Latin, and/or sing Latin plainchant. They have clearly not grasped that Pope Francis is asking us to do something else: to live as people of the Gospel, espousing Gospel values, rather than all the ritual fripperies that these bloggists are so obsessed with. A broader vision is what is being called for.

The article makes no mention of the Tridentine Mass, however it does praise the use of Vernacular chant (as well as Latin).
I can find no evidence to suggest that the atricle fails to grasp the Pope Francis is asking us to live as people of the Gospel.

The Holy sacrifice of the Mass is, as we have been told countless times, the source and summit of our faith and, in my humble (and admittedly less-experienced) opinion, the article is discussing the worthy celebration of Mass, making use of chant in accordance with countless guidelines over the years.
I fail to see how taking great care to celebrate Mass properly, in accordance with liturigal guidelines can be described as 'ritual frippery'.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

IncenseTom wrote:The article makes no mention of the Tridentine Mass

No, it doesn't. I did not mean to imply that it did, but rather that there are a number of other blogs where that is the primary focus. Sorry if that "and/or" wasn't clear.

My point is that all that Chant Cafe and the other blogs (some of them particularly pernicious) seem to be concerned about is whether the new pope will allow them to continue doing what they want to do. That seems to me to demonstrate a very narrow vision of what it means to be a Christian in today's world. Ritual fripperies indeed when placed alongside the option for the poor and a simple lifestyle that Francis is eloquently witnessing to even in his first days.
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

Southern Comfort wrote:My point is that all that Chant Cafe and the other blogs (some of them particularly pernicious) seem to be concerned about is whether the new pope will allow them to continue doing what they want to do. That seems to me to demonstrate a very narrow vision of what it means to be a Christian in today's world. Ritual fripperies indeed when placed alongside the option for the poor and a simple lifestyle that Francis is eloquently witnessing to even in his first days.

My interpretation of the article was that the simple lifestyle of Pope Francis will suit our heritage of chant as (like it or not) this is the most fundamental and organic form of music in our church's history - sung scripture, the word of God, passed down the centuries aurally (and laterly in print), accessible to all, uncluttered, austere.
I felt that the chant cafe were making the case to align chant with the style of the new Holy Father rather than to jump on some sort of bandwagon declaring that all will be somehow lost under the new pope as you seem to suggest others blogs are doing. I might be wrong, but i'm trying to see this minus the politics.
JW

Post by JW »

I'm afraid that the new Pope has much weightier matters in his intray than the relatively minor issue of the way we worship! More than half way into the Year of Faith my particular parish church is still emptying out!

I suspect that Pope Francis is very aware that, if we believe that the Gospel is Good News of Salvation then more and more people aren't receiving the message. It seems that Latin American Catholic observance is starting to follow that of Europe. Africa won't be too far behind. The Church can never give up on people.

For ourselves in England, we have so much diversity in England that Catholics can easily find a church to suit them within driving distance. Whether or not that is the right thing for them to do may, I think be another topic. It is however, clear that, to date initiatives such as the New Evangelisation don't seem to be working. I dare to hope that Pope Francis will address this.
JW
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Initiatives like The Year of Faith will only ever affect the few unless our communications are improved drastically. I only discovered the YoF through this board – wouldn't have heard about it otherwise. Meanwhile, the Catholic Media Office continues with its policy of reaction rather than proaction and Catholic Voices can't keep their blessed mouths shut. We're doomed!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Projects like New Evangelisation need a very clear focus and objectives otherwise there is a danger that they can't be clearly communicated beyond the level of a pious wish.
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

Here is the order of service for Tuesday's Mass

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/lit ... etrino.pdf
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I see BBC1 have allocated 3 hours from 8am to 11am Tuesday 19th for the inauguration Mass.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

I was greatly impressed by the homily at the inauguration and the warmth of his greeting to the dignitaries - he was not to be rushed and held their handshake for as long as possible!
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Wow Pope not moving into Papal apartments! :D
musicus

Post by musicus »

His homily at he Chrism Mass focused on the priesthood and its ministry and - IMHO - was spot-on. (There's an English translation of this, and all his public sayings, on the Vatican website www.vatican.va/ )
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog