It's a bit too much work reflection.

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

It's a bit too much work reflection.

Post by oopsorganist »

Hi
I am getting along OK with a flute and guitar to add to my efforts - both very good and thankfully, low maintenance. You can't beat people who come along, find the page, tune up and get on with the job. Then go home without waiting for applause. Lovely.

But I have had offers for singing. People volunteer to sing. Three of four over the last year. Which is great but, big but, they are new to England and bringing them in to support the music is more than that. For example, I have one email address but it does not work because it has Polish bits in it so I have lost that contact. Etc.

I would love to be able to include everyone and anyone but it does not seem to fall together somehow. People who are new to England work long hard hours and need extra support and I don't have the time to give. They do not even attend Mass regularly. I think they need social support before embarking on random and inconsistent musical contribution.

I could use a practice CD to hand out. We don't have a huge repertoire and resources are hard to come by.
Also seem to be tied up with Restoration project and Fair Trade and all that.

Humph. I just feel guilty - PP makes it worse by saying I sent so and so to you how is it going.
Not enough hours in the day.
uh oh!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: It's a bit too much work reflection.

Post by Nick Baty »

Perhaps you're worrying too much, Oops. Just advertise your rehearsal time and let everyone know they are welcome!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

yes but no but

We had a practice on Saturday at 10am which is good time because people can go to Confession straight afterwards. :lol:
So there I was - freezing cold church, me and a lady of 78. Mind you, she can knock out a good tune.

So I am afraid I am cancelling this sort of thing. PP asks me to do practices ie for Easter. I say yes. But I think I should learn to say no. So in effect we have no regular practice slots because I cannot put time into something that is not productive. (Especially after being ill last year).

Perhaps I should direct volunteers in someone else's direction? Someone with the energy and skills to organise a multi cultural kind of choir.
uh oh!
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

Yes, I know exactly the sort of problems you face. However, at the end of the day, people need to understand that if performances of music are to be any good - or least give confident firm leads to congregations - then rehearsals are necessary. If people are not prepared - or able - to find time to do this, then they should not be surprised if music in church remains lacklustre. Handing out CD recordings of the music can help, but only up to a certain point beyond which rehearsals are necessary. For this reason usually I do not think results are commensurate with the labour involved preparing them. In the end people have to be disabused of the common misconception that music is something that just 'magically' happens. It requires slog.

Remember that music is a universal language, and thus able to cross ethnic and national boundries.

There are though, a number of dodges enabling one to maximise limited rehearsal times. You probably know these already, but for the sake of others, here are some simple tips:

[1] Make proper arrangements (or ensure they are available) of music for the specific resources you have. If you do this, then you do not have the problem of people finding parts are either unplayable or too difficult to manage. Conversely, you can also 'play to their strengths', writing parts that really make use of the talents and capabilities of the players and instruments at your disposal. If you want technical advice on how to do this (combining guitars with Organs is not easy), please get in touch.

[2] Always write out properly prepared parts - transpositions, time signatures, dynamics - all the usual 'bells and whistles'. Choirs expect no less; why should instrumentalists not get the same treatment? If you leave it to them (always dangerous as this militates against a properly coordinated arrangement) or produce inadequate parts then the subliminal message you convey is that the business is not serious. Ideally use a good music processing programme (Sibelius or Finale). Not only do parts look more convincing, but obviously you can store and adjust arrangements for further print-offs on your computer. Remember that most people are unduly impressed by the smart appearance of print, even if the actual arrangement is inferior to something on music mss paper. If you do not have such a resource and need to use music mss paper, use a 2B pencil (as you can photocopy off this as well as make erasures). Be extravagent in your use of paper - one sheet per part per piece of music, as this saves time and sorting as music accumulates. Don't write new parts over erased old copies as this usually produces unclear copies. If you find the cost of music mss. paper horrific run off photocopies from a single 'master' copy.

[3] When you make arrangements, you will find sheet music accumulates rapidly; so take some thought over storage and sorting arrangements. Always keep a 'master set' of parts in reserve in case people lose parts or fail to turn up for the service.

This sort of thing is labour intensive, and it increases markedly the more players you have, but it really is worthwhile. If they see you taking trouble, then some (not all, I fear) will 'get the message' and take trouble too. It sounds from your remarks that you have other 'irons in the fire'; so you may need to think through your priorities clearly. Ask yourself what are the jobs that no-one else can do and concentrate on these.
T.E.Muir
Peter

Post by Peter »

oopsorganist wrote:Humph. I just feel guilty - PP makes it worse by saying I sent so and so to you how is it going.
Not enough hours in the day.

No need to feel guilty, Oops, you're doing the best you can with what you've got. My church has something similar (instrumental group with organ) and we meet about 3/4 hr before Mass to run through what we're doing. It sounds as if your people are experienced enough not to need that but if you adopt Thomas' suggestion of more carefully worked-out arrangements (flute descant on the last verse of a hymn, for example) you might find it worth doing the same and letting those interested in forming a singing group to lead know that you are doing so, so that they can join in as well. If they don't, that's their problem, not yours. No point in arranging practices if no-one turns up!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Thanks to all
Thomas' advice is excellent but - I do not have those kind of skills Thomas. I could do things like arrange parts but it would take me a very very long time. My music theory is of the Grade 5 kind / GCSE O level.

Right now I am contemplating the painting of our organ case work which sounds like it is going to have to be reinstalled in its underwear. I mean undercoat. That is actually more in the reach of my skills. I could add portraits of those involved in the restoration - maybe a few cherubs. T'would look quite nice........
sigh
uh oh!