Closure of Department for Pastoral Formation - Portsmouth

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

quaeritor

Re: Closure of Department for Pastoral Formation - Portsmout

Post by quaeritor »

SOP wrote:It puzzles me as there is supposedly a shortage of vocations to the priesthood and we should be doing more to help but then one of these oh precious priests is brought in to replace a lay person.

How perceptive, SOP! - but surely you have noticed by now that the power of the sacrament of Holy Orders confers instant expertise in fields as varied as accountancy, architecture, administration not to mention the one close to our hearts - musical genius - or more perilously, protection of the young or vulnerable. I'm as baffled as you are at the wastage of the one scarce resource that we cannot "buy in".

Despairingly

Q
Southern Comfort

Re: Closure of Department for Pastoral Formation - Portsmout

Post by Southern Comfort »

quaeritor wrote:
Hare wrote:This matter is also being "discussed" here http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/organists/

Forgive my technical ineptitude - I've clicked on this link but all I can see is completely innocent stuff about organs and organists, I'd like to know what it is I'm supposed to be outraged by :?

What did I do wrong?

Q

From the link, scroll down to the lengthy thread started by "Arthur Harrison Organ Newcastle", currently located on 7 March at 22:45 (the time of the latest post on that thread, though the thread actually started on 28 Feb). You'll see RC Bishop of Portsmouth. Open up all the posts (click several times on View previous comments — there are 195 of them — to go back to beginning of the thread) and you'll see what has been going on. It's not very edifying.