A Gospel Acclamation tone?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

quaeritor

A Gospel Acclamation tone?

Post by quaeritor »

Is there a standard chant tone to use as a default setting for the Gospel Acclamation verse? - it seems such an admission of defeat if a congregation sings a lusty Alleluia and then recites the verse.

Come to think of it, are there default chant settings of the "Alleluia substitutes" used in Lent?

Q
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: A Gospel Acclamation tone?

Post by Nick Baty »

That would depend on which Alleluia you're using, Q.
musicus

Post by musicus »

The Missal's music for the Order of Mass may be found here: http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openmusic.php - but there is no provision for the Gospel Acclamation in any of its forms so far as I can see (nor is any printed in the Roman Missal).
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

The one I regard as "standard" Nick - simply represented as "G A B G . A-B A-G E_ D_ . G A-B A-G G" - widely encountered on the continent intoned by the celebrant and less frequently in this country (but not by the celebrant!) On the continent I've often heard just the Alleluia with the verse omitted entirely; in this country the verse spoken. Neither is ideal.

And Musicus, that's exactly the problem - the Gospel Acclamation is Lectionary so not catered for in the Missal.

Q
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Yes, recognise that Q. But that's just one of many hundreds. I presume you sing many others too!
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

We certainly do, Nick, but I'm thinking of times when there is no "organised" music but it's still possible - and desirable - for some brave soul to lead the main Acclamations (maybe that should be taught in seminaries - it would seem that it is on the Continent). A neighbouring parish here has no choir and occasionally no instrument either, and it was for a long time the practice, even when there was an organist, for one of the servers to intone the Alleluia, but for the congregation to recite the verse.

Q
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Surely a two note G to A and back again would be enough to carry the text of the verse with that particular Alleluia.
We generally omit the verse altogether as the distance for the priest to travel to the lectern is not great. When the latest translation came out our PP tried to get the readers to speak the verse, but the effect was so naff that it didn't last long. They do that in France with responsorial psalms quite a bit ..... but thats the French for you. :wink:
musicus

Post by musicus »

quaeritor wrote:And Musicus, that's exactly the problem - the Gospel Acclamation is Lectionary so not catered for in the Missal.

Doh! That explains it.
blog
JW

Post by JW »

You don't even need a tone, just a reciting note. I think the problem is more to do with congregational confidence in singing but this can be overcome, as was done with singing the 'Alleluia' itself.
JW
Biodiode
Parish / Diocese: Lancaster Diocese

Post by Biodiode »

With my choir I usually look at using the Celtic Alleluia with verse, where it fits. If this is not suitable then I use a standard Alleluia taken from the popular Easter Night psalm and for the verses the psalm tones composed by Dom. Gregory Murray in the key of G. The change usually goes along the lines of G, E G, A for the first sentence then A, G E, G for the last sentence.
“A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.”
musicus

Post by musicus »

Welcome to the forum, Biodiode!
blog
Biodiode
Parish / Diocese: Lancaster Diocese

Post by Biodiode »

Thank you. I have been along time viewer of these forums and thought it was about time I actually joined and got involved with this community.
“A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.”
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

musicus wrote:
quaeritor wrote:And Musicus, that's exactly the problem - the Gospel Acclamation is Lectionary so not catered for in the Missal.

Doh! That explains it.

You may wish to re mi that doh... because Appendix I of the Missal contains chanting rules for virtually every other element of the Lectionary!
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
musicus

Post by musicus »

Thank you! I shall take a look at that.
blog
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

In Salford, our weekday sheets recommend using the Easter Alleluia tone with the words "Praise to you, Lord! Glory to
you, Christ: you are the Word of God!" I have sung those words a few times but so far I have been singing alone. They will join in if I say the words of the Acclamation but look totally puzzled when I sing the recommended words. They know the tune, I sing each time I am reading and they sing it with me, but I must say that those words do not exactly 'flow'. Give it two or three years.