Music and the Tablet

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Dot

Post by Dot »

It is not, of course, a question of imitating Gregorian chant but rather of ensuring that new compositions are imbued with the same spirit that inspired and little by little came to shape it.

That Gregorian chant has a quality which makes it “worthy of the temple” is probably not in question. As a visitor to a couple of monastery abbeys this year, I have felt it was not appropriate to join in the community’s chant whilst, at the same time, being deeply affected by it because it was so much a part of the community’s prayer life. Yet, we search for the equivalent vehicle that lets our parish community express its praise and its faith in a communal way. Satgé feels it is found in chant, and proceeds to prescribe this as a panacea.

There are moments when the music does allow the prayer to come alive and to breathe – my example would be a cantor singing their own setting of a psalm (then you take it away and try to use it yourself, and it just isn’t the same), When it comes to the assembly, the spirit we need to capture is that which makes the people feel that this is their song. Now, if anyone writes an article which contains the essence of how to do that, I’d like to read it! Meanwhile, we keep hearing little instances of how the music lives for certain communities in their particular circumstances, and I am heartened by these – keep them coming.

Dot
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Dot wrote: [a] vehicle that lets our parish community express its praise and its faith in a communal way. Satgé feels it is found in chant, and proceeds to prescribe this as a panacea.

Dot, you have put it so nicely when I just got hot under the collar.

Of course if, in Mr Satgé's parish, chant is what moves people to prayer through active participation then he is right to use it. I think I was a tad miffed because he presented it as the cure for a specific problem.

When ideas appear in print they gain an air of authority. The question of liturgical music presented in a Catholic publication might look, to the casual observer, as though this is the way things are or are meant to be. It is not obvious that this is the personal view of one person in an independent publication. I don't think I'd have felt the same if I'd read his views on The Times or The Guardian.

I used to work for The Universe and The Catholic Times. I remember once losing an argument with my aunt over some church issue or other. She claimed to be in the right "because I read it in The Universe". I just smiled to myself.
sidvicius

Quote, unquote

Post by sidvicius »

Merseysider
if...chant is what moves people to prayer... then he is right to use it.
Dot
...moments when the music does allow the prayer to come alive and to breathe...
Tsume/Fr Dunstan
...to sing chant as if joining in with something that has always been going on.
SOP
Plainchant flows, it speeds up, it slows down.

I think we are on the same wavelength here. Would you also agree that plain chant's place is really in the monasteries? Obviously, there will be exceptions to the rule, such as Mr Satgés parish, because when you have found something that works well for you, you think it will work for everyone, but in reality, it doesn't - witness Merseysider's surprise at what works for his boys' choir. I'm sure we've all had similar experiences. But M. is right - Satgé should not be suggesting that this is a cure for all of us. It's just another alternative.

For me, Plain chant is like a polite warning - "you are now in a sacred place - Respect this fact, or else..." If only there was something similar for our day-to-day sacred places.
Tsume Tsuyu

Re: SSG response

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

excathedra wrote:Rest assured that the SSG will respond to this article - it's too good an opportunity to miss!

Did the SSG ever put pen to paper? I don't subscribe to the Tablet so, although I had a sight of the original article, I haven't seen any responses.

Would it be possible to post the SSG's response on the forum?
TT
excathedra

Re: SSG response

Post by excathedra »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:Did the SSG ever put pen to paper? I don't subscribe to the Tablet so, although I had a sight of the original article, I haven't seen any responses.

Would it be possible to post the SSG's response on the forum?

I am finalising a response. I'll post it on here when I have given them a chance to print or reject it.