Leeds Cathedral Midnight Mass on BBC1

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Leeds Cathedral Midnight Mass on BBC1

Post by IncenseTom »

I thought Leeds did a wonderful job this year.

Particular highlights for me were the Dominus Dixit ad me, the congregational carols and the splendid organ playing. I also thought the thurible action was very good - a nice confident swing from Mgr Moger. :D

I wasn't entirely convinced by the Mass setting by Vierne, mainly as there was no congregational participation, although I suppose these sort of difficult choral Mass settings can only be done in Cathedrals (or well resourced parishes) and that there is some expectation to hear these.

It was also great to see so many people I knew on the TV!
dunstan

Re: Leeds Cathedral Midnight Mass on BBC1

Post by dunstan »

The Vierne was the main reason I watched (until I fell asleep, sorry, I'd played Midnight Mass at 8, and was to be up for Day Mass at 9:15). I found the sermon about the wet and used straw illuminating.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
MARYFA
Parish / Diocese: DIOCESE of LEEDS

Post by MARYFA »

I managed ato watch it on I-Player. I was quite impressed but disappointed that they did not include the two items which for me define a Catholic Midnight Mass --Come to the Manger and Adeste Fideles ( In the Vincent Novello arrangement if possible.) I think
'Come to the Manger' would have fitted better at the Blessingg of the Crib than 'Unto us is born a Son' although that was very well done. I seemed to detect a mainstream sort of
Anglican flavour to the carols. Very good sermon and the Cathedral looked beautiful.
I noticed that the Crib was in a side chapel. For the last few years ours has lurked under the free-standing altar. A parishioner expressed dislike of this as we had always had
a proper stable on a side altar before. She was informed by the PP that under the altar
was more liturgically correct. Can this be true?
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

MARYFA wrote:I managed ato watch it on I-Player. I was quite impressed but disappointed that they did not include the two items which for me define a Catholic Midnight Mass --Come to the Manger and Adeste Fideles ( In the Vincent Novello arrangement if possible.) I think
'Come to the Manger' would have fitted better at the Blessingg of the Crib than 'Unto us is born a Son' although that was very well done. I seemed to detect a mainstream sort of
Anglican flavour to the carols. Very good sermon and the Cathedral looked beautiful.
I noticed that the Crib was in a side chapel. For the last few years ours has lurked under the free-standing altar. A parishioner expressed dislike of this as we had always had
a proper stable on a side altar before. She was informed by the PP that under the altar

NO!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Hare wrote:
MARYFA wrote:I managed ato watch it on I-Player. I was quite impressed but disappointed that they did not include the two items which for me define a Catholic Midnight Mass --Come to the Manger and Adeste Fideles ( In the Vincent Novello arrangement if possible.) I think

NO!

Agreed. And I think that in fact the Book of Blessings states that it should not be there if it is an obstacle to moving round the altar (e.g. for incensing). Anyone who is that their desk can verify this more easily than I.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

.... and slew the little childer
and slew the little childer
Hope they didn't make it to this verse!
uh oh!
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Come, come, come to the Manger is toe-curlingly twee. I hate it with a passion. On the other hand I very much like the American versions of O Little Town of Bethlehem, Away in a Manger, and It Came Upn a Midnight Clear.

It's a funny old world, innit? :lol: