(M)any takers for the old Mass?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

contrabordun

Re: (M)any takers for the old Mass?

Post by contrabordun »

alan29 wrote:Got to say that the Durufle is one of my Desert Island picks.
Couldn't agree more. It's beautiful.
Paul Hodgetts
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

JW wrote:One Holy Saturday, according to the Pius XII liturgy, I remember Fr Joe McCarthy, RIP, telling us we could go out for a smoke - he left a 15 minute gap before the midnight Mass, after the Easter Vigil, specifically for that purpose! Happy days - but the lung cancer got him!

I can just remember the last "Vigil" to take place on Holy Saturday morning. The priest started off and then said to me "You go home and have your breakfast and by the time you get back I'll have finished this lot" — "this lot" being a recited Exsultet (longer than today's), all twelve OT readings and lengthy responsories, etc, etc, before getting on to the Liturgy of the Eucharist. There was no congregation, incidentally, just me, the solitary server.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Southern Comfort wrote:
JW wrote:One Holy Saturday, according to the Pius XII liturgy, I remember Fr Joe McCarthy, RIP, telling us we could go out for a smoke - he left a 15 minute gap before the midnight Mass, after the Easter Vigil, specifically for that purpose! Happy days - but the lung cancer got him!

I can just remember the last "Vigil" to take place on Holy Saturday morning. The priest started off and then said to me "You go home and have your breakfast and by the time you get back I'll have finished this lot" — "this lot" being a recited Exsultet (longer than today's), all twelve OT readings and lengthy responsories, etc, etc, before getting on to the Liturgy of the Eucharist. There was no congregation, incidentally, just me, the solitary server.

And thats exactly why the changes were needed.
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

Southern Comfort wrote:, etc, etc, before getting on to the Liturgy of the Eucharist....................

And after that, wasn't there a diminished Lauds? ( I have a copy of this rite somewhere - will look it up.)
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
JW

Post by JW »

Peter Jones wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:, etc, etc, before getting on to the Liturgy of the Eucharist....................

And after that, wasn't there a diminished Lauds? ( I have a copy of this rite somewhere - will look it up.)

Peter, I think it was originally Vespers, see this SSPX video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLkvvMZXAm4. They wouldn't have changed anything, would they?
(Rather a lot of walking around, bowing and incensing for my taste - especially after it's all been done at Mass!)

My 1954 'St Andrew Junior Daily Missal' compiled by Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB lists as a recent change:

"After the Communion of the faithful, the Antiphon of Vespers is used for Lauds and, instead of the Magnificat, the Benedictus is sung." Can't actually understand why these amendments aren't in their Liturgy, as everything Pius XII was pukka according to SSPX.
JW
alan29

Post by alan29 »

JW wrote:
Peter Jones wrote:

Peter, I think it was originally Vespers, see this SSPX video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLkvvMZXAm4. They wouldn't have changed anything, would they?
(Rather a lot of walking around, bowing and incensing for my taste - especially after it's all been done at Mass!)

My 1954 'St Andrew Junior Daily Missal' compiled by Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB lists as a recent change:

"After the Communion of the faithful, the Antiphon of Vespers is used for Lauds and, instead of the Magnificat, the Benedictus is sung." Can't actually understand why these amendments aren't in their Liturgy, as everything Pius XII was pukka according to SSPX.

Didn't the Vigil become a morning liturgy, which was then put back to the night some time in the 20th century?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

alan29 wrote:
Peter Jones wrote:And after that, wasn't there a diminished Lauds? ( I have a copy of this rite somewhere - will look it up.)

Didn't the Vigil become a morning liturgy, which was then put back to the night some time in the 20th century?

The Vigil had been a Holy Saturday morning liturgy for centuries. In the 1940s Pius XII embarked (in secret, because he knew the Congregation for Rites wouldn't approve!) on a reform of the Easter Vigil. On an experimental basis, the Vigil moved to an evening liturgy in 1951, but most people did not take this up until 1955 with the complete reform of all the Holy Week rites. The office followed the Mass immediately. The change from Magnificat to Benedictus took place, I believe, in 1953, when it was realised that after midnight on Easter Sunday morning it was actually Lauds and not Vespers. Prior to that, "Vespers" had been celebrated on the Saturday morning. The antiphon is Et valde mane, "And early in the morning".....

My Holy Saturday morning must have been in 1955, since the reformed rites were promulgated in November 1955 and implemented (amid much curiosity) in 1956.