True engagement in the rite

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

True engagement in the rite

Post by HallamPhil »

In a thread on the topic of Sacrosanctum Concilium 50 years on one commentator drew our attention to SC article 11 in which we are urged to have a true engagement with the rite rather than the rubric. 50 years on this deeper engagement can be frustrating.

50 years ago the balance between Word and Eucharist was adjusted towards a greater equilibrium, suggesting that we are nourished equally by Word and Eucharist. I believe we are fed by both elements equally, the Word informing and challenging how we live out the life of Christ today having, as Augustine would advocate, 'become what we have received.'
However when we engage with the Rite of Dedication of a Church we find a liturgy which focusses on the place of Eucharist, the altar, and neglects the ambo altogether. 50 years on our liturgy has yet to catch up with significant changes in thinking.

When we engage fully with the Rite we are offered for the Ordination of Priests we are offered only Old Testament models of priesthood and precious little which speaks to the role of the priest today.

When we engage fully with the Marriage Rites we may be frustrated with the lack of sexual equality on offer at times but even more frustrated when we engage with the Revised Rite proposal from the 1990s which was pastorally sensitive to any number of different situations characterised by couples coming forward for marriage and which may still be gathering dust in an Italian filing cabinet.

In 25 or 50 years time will we still be looking back warmly to the inspired vision of the Church that was offered us or will we be demanding that our Church expresses that vision more consistently in its liturgy? Or are we just too disengaged to be 'bovvered'?
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Re: True engagement in the rite

Post by Peter Jones »

HallamPhil wrote:However when we engage with the Rite of Dedication of a Church we find a liturgy which focusses on the place of Eucharist, the altar, and neglects the ambo altogether. 50 years on our liturgy has yet to catch up with significant changes in thinking.

Hmmmmm. I can see, as it were, where you're coming from and have sympathy with your argument. Perhaps this does beg the question as to how many of our churches have a true, fixed ambo (reserved absolutely for the celebration of the Word) rather than just a (semi-)portable lectern. It would be difficult to dedicate a wooden book stand, I think.
What about the Cathedra - or, as in my case, the Presidential Chair?
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

HallamPhil wrote:When we engage fully with the Rite we are offered for the Ordination of Priests we are offered only Old Testament models of priesthood and precious little which speaks to the role of the priest today.

I think you'll have to expand on that one a little Phil so I (we) can grasp what you're saying - not that I have a Rite or Ordination to hand.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Peter Jones wrote:
HallamPhil wrote:However when we engage with the Rite of Dedication of a Church we find a liturgy which focusses on the place of Eucharist, the altar, and neglects the ambo altogether. 50 years on our liturgy has yet to catch up with significant changes in thinking.

Hmmmmm. I can see, as it were, where you're coming from and have sympathy with your argument. Perhaps this does beg the question as to how many of our churches have a true, fixed ambo (reserved absolutely for the celebration of the Word) rather than just a (semi-)portable lectern. It would be difficult to dedicate a wooden book stand, I think.
What about the Cathedra - or, as in my case, the Presidential Chair?

HallamPhil's question is precisely why I am increasingly finding people adding additional minor rites to the already full rite of Dedication of a Church. Typically they will add a blessing of the (fixed) font and a blessing of the (fixed) ambo, because they want to emphasise how important these will be in the future life of the community in addition to the altar and the church walls!

I have even encountered a blessing of the Cross and a blessing of the tabernacle — rather more dubious about adding those. Once you start doing that, you need to start blessing every "blessed" thing! But the major symbols of font and ambo do have some justification. As many places still (sensibly) have a moveable presider's chair, I don't think that would be necessary.

I imagine that the Rite of Dedication grew up to be altar-dominated because this was the place, in the preconciliar age, where everything happened at a normal "Low Mass". The readings were read from here and ambos were generally unheard of. Perhaps someone who knows the history of the Rite will enlighten us. I can't remember if Crichton treats this in his trilogy, but I think not.