Academy in Scotland & James MacMillan

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Academy in Scotland & James MacMillan

Post by Peter Jones »

Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Southern Comfort

Re: Academy in Scotland & James MacMillan

Post by Southern Comfort »

Peter Jones wrote:http://www.aosm.org.uk/

I noted the trinity of James MacMillan, J S Bach and Jesus Christ on this page.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Pictorial name-dropping! :D

For all that, MacMillan's address provides a good deal of positive food for thought, not least with regard to the power of music and the role of the composer. There is much to inspire us all here.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
promusica
Parish / Diocese: Ashbourne Meath Ireland

Post by promusica »

Having scoured the Academy's website, the initiative is very much a work in progress. I wish them the very best. Church music throughout the English-speaking world has been in a constant state of flux - some parishes are truly centres of excellence, some are truly centres of liturgical and musical malpractice. The foundation of such an Academy - and perhaps there needs to be several such academies - presumably is both a training ground for the next generation of church musicians as well as being a model to inspire existing music ministers. A key word in such an initiative is investment - of time, money and personnel. Such investment also needs to be put in place at parish level. If we value wonderful music at parish level, money needs to be allocated for employment of qualified, talented personnel, who are given a number of hours each week to develop a strong and inspiring music programme. I love the Academy's approach that targets young people (without, of course, being ageist). As a second-level teacher, I find that young people are always open to singing music of the highest quality from every genre. Tapping into this resource, abundant in energy and enthusiasm, is vital for parishes that want their music programmes to grow.
MARYFA
Parish / Diocese: DIOCESE of LEEDS

Post by MARYFA »

I too wish the new initiative every success. I notice that there is no mention of the
long-established St. Mungo Music organisation. I have found this a useful resource
in different ways. I had the impression that it was the official liturgical music
organisation of the Glasgow Arcdiocese. Their leader is I think, Mgr. Gerry Fitzpatrick,
some of whose compositions were included in 'Music for the Mass Book 1'
Are St. Mungo still in existence or is the new Institute meant to replace it?
musicus

Post by musicus »

I have always assumed that St Mungo Music was (only) a publisher, and the new Academy is, surely, an independent initiative. I don't think either of them are official diocesan entities. Does anyone have chapter and verse on this?
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog