Re-opening and dedication of Cathedral Church of St Marie

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re-opening and dedication of Cathedral Church of St Marie

Post by HallamPhil »

I'm sure your info is correct also ... I suppose everyone boasted they studied with Dupre even if momentarily!
Organ Literature by Corliss Richard Arnold has him listed as a pupil of Joseph Jongen. Some people just have all the luck!
Southern Comfort

Re: Re-opening and dedication of Cathedral Church of St Mari

Post by Southern Comfort »

HallamPhil wrote:a pupil of Joseph Jongen
Now there's another underrated composer. The Belgians produced vast quantities of excellent organists and composers. A good quantity of them ended up in Ireland.
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

I was in the cathedral last night for a rehearsal with the Diocesan Choir, brass, woodwind, cantors and percussion.
Previous visits had led me to think that the building work would never be completed on time but now it looks as though there may only be a few aspects outstanding.

It has been a massive undertaking. The cathedral was closed in September 2011 and we have been operating from St Matthew's Anglican church on Sundays and holy days and during the week from a temporary chapel converted from a building previously used as a post office and a haidressers!

The work has put in place underfloor heating and a new sandstone floor throughout the cathedral. This has also enabled us to put in a fantastic sound system with up to five radio microphones for speech, flexible arrangements for music and points throughout the cathedral to cater for most imaginable liturgies. A new lighting system has been installed giving us a whole range of possibilities.

The sanctuary now projects into the crossing with a smaller solid stone altar presided over by a centrally placed stone cathedra. The normal presider's chair is in wood matching that of the new pews. The stone ambo projects from the south of the sanctuary as the priest presider's chair projects from the north of the sanctuary.

The choir will be re-sited to the rear of the sanctuary at 'new' choir stalls. These are actually created from remaining parts of the original choir stalls which subsequently in the 1970s re-ordering were destroyed save for a few ornamental bits which were made into a wooden cathedra.

Considerable research has revealed the original nature and colours of the Pugin-designed 'High' altar and accompanying reredos. This has also informed the restoration of other shrines and altars. The most magnificent area of restoration has been in the Norfolk Chapel the reredos of which shows the generosity and faith of its benefactors.

Removal of panels to the roof has revealed the original paintwork and ornamented beams. One wonders why they were ever covered up? There are new confessionals in a plain wood and glass construction on one side of the rear of the cathedral while on the other side is a resource area in similar wood.

Centrally at the rear of the cathedral stands the baptismal font. We had been experimenting with baptismal pools for the last few years and I am sure that Bishop John (and indeed all of us) will miss the drama of full immersion but instead we have gone for a font and an area which allows water to be poured liberally over those to be baptised. This area and the inside of the font are covered with a mosaic of varied slate and gold tiles. The font will be topped by a removable wooden cover.

Outside the building a glass narthex has been created in the passage to the West Door. Here all notices will also be displayed. There is also a connecting door to the hall.

The 1875 Lewis organ will not return to the cathedral until a complete restoration is completed. In the mean time my house organ, a Wyvern Toccata III with external speakers has been installed.

The sacristies and other working areas have been refitted and there is an intention to use part of the back corridor to accomodate secure display of the Holy Oils (within the original font) and, alongside other treasures, seven 15th century alabasters depicting stages in the life of Christ and Mary.

I could go on ... why not make a visit!
MARYFA
Parish / Diocese: DIOCESE of LEEDS

Post by MARYFA »

I have liked St. Marie's very much when I have visited occasionally over many years.
I look forward to seeing the restoration when next in Sheffield. I do hope it has not been
ruined liked St. Anne's in Leeds with walls and fences cluttering the sanctuary.
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

I think you will still enjoy St Marie's ... it's a very different building to St Anne's. I cannot recall seeing any fences last night!
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Great to be back home in St Marie's tonight. About 250 people turned out on a wet and windy night for the Evening Prayer - Veneration - Night Prayer and very moving it was too.
keitha

Post by keitha »

....and just to say all good wishes to you and all in Sheffield for tomorrow Phil.
Keith Ainsworth
Anne
Parish / Diocese: westminster

Post by Anne »

It was a really beautiful Mass - The whole liturgy was very well thought our and well prepared. The Cathedral looks great - much better lighting, heating, sound system etc. The diocesan choir (and the congregation) sang beautifully, the choice of music was really good, the Bishop was in very good form,........ It lasted about two and a half hours, but it didn't seem that long at all. It was occasion to make you feel really proud to be part of the Church. Thanks to all who worked so hard in the background to make it such a great occasion
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Thanks Anne. we blessed the font toda during the 1030 Mass. Unfortunately that wonderful sound system and most of the lights were kaput due to an electrical fault. Fortunately the replacement digital organ worked and I was able to rig up the powerful Diocesan portable sound system for choir, ambo, chair and altar. What must be the longest Dedication Liturgy (starting on Thursday evening and ending today) is now over.

We still have some work to complete. The grand piano returns later this week, and the original font will be adapted to house the oils. The choir stalls have been made and await installation in the rear of the sanctuary. The are formed from elaborate Bentley carved wood which was originally choir stalls and then got adapted to form the 1980 cathedra. The finished result preserves the original carvings as well as some other panels in a purpose designed series of six stalls/benches.