Wesley Music, anyone?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Wesley Music, anyone?

Post by FrGareth »

I've recently changed parish and am now in a place where most funerals will involve Cardiff's Thornhill Crematorium. At Thornhill there are two chapels, the smaller of which does not have a facility for a live organist to play. Both chapels are equipped with the "Wesley Music" automated playlist.

WM HYMNS
Our wide selection of hymns has been recorded at a well-known Northamptonshire church using a superb pipe organ played by a classically trained and eminently qualified organist. A unique feature of many of our hymn recordings is the use of a small choir of young people whose voices have been recorded in such a way as to encourage others to join in with the singing rather than creating a performance for listeners only. Organ accompaniments without a choir are also included, although we have found that most crematoria prefer the choir to be left in as this helps to encourage and support the singing. Where verses of a hymn are to be omitted for a particular funeral, a recording can be supplied to match the requirement.

WM ORGAN
This is a selection of items commonly requested for the opening and closing of services. They were recorded using the same pipe organ as for the hymns, and can be 'looped' to play continuously for as long as required.

My first experience of working alongside this system involved a funeral with Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer at a pitch too high for me to join in with, followed by Amazing Grace with some twiddly bits in the middle of each verse which threw me when trying to sing along.

Because Wesley Music seems to have a closed list (presumably to avoid Performing Rights issues? are non-religious funerals exempted by the PRS/PPL?) I doubt whether I can get them to play a lower-pitched Bread of Heaven when I need it (and being in Wales, that will be at many funerals) - and then there's the whole point of principle about whether a Catholic religious ceremony ought to be accompanied by canned music at all, followed by the more pragmatic question of, if it's unavoidable, is it better to have the track with canned singers or just the organ?

I'd be pleased hear of any other forum member's experience with Wesley Music at funerals...

Thanks!
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Re: Wesley Music, anyone?

Post by Hare »

I have not heard Wesley used to accompany singing (if I am at a crem funeral it is usually to play, and I therefore accompany the hymns even if Wesley is used in and out) The latter functions it seems to fulfil well, and is a useful resource.

accompaniment is another matter. I would say that on balance "canned singers" are better than just organ, as at least people know when to join in. I have heard of long gaps between verses on the "organ only" option with attendant confusion.

A skilled organist knows how to keep things going, lead where necessary, get things back on track if things get out of step, etc. A machine can't do that.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Wesley Music, anyone?

Post by VML »

The strangest use of one of these systems I have heard was at the funeral of a cellist friend. The large old country church was packed with orchestral musicians, on a Sunday, because they were mostly working in the theatre and West End, and we were treated to recordings by the deceased and performances by his friends, but the hymns were clearly synthesised. The family were not church goers, but bizarrely one of their guests was an occasional organist from the church, but noone had thought to ask him to play.