Malurgy

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Re: Malurgy

Post by BobHayes »

Nick Baty wrote:So how/when/where do you explain the restructuring of the pastoral area, the merging of the parish with its neighbours, the new structure of the rites of initiation, the commissioning of lay funeral ministers etc? When do you invite people to join the bereavement team, the outreach project for sex workers, the soup kitchen? How else do you let people know what is going on in this living, breathing community?

How about a meeting after Mass?
Bob
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Southern Comfort wrote:
And while we're on the subject of pastoral insensitivity, I wonder how many clergy have noticed this appalling para in GIRM?

382. At Funeral Masses there should usually be a short Homily, but to the exclusion of a funeral eulogy of any kind.

One wants to assume that they actually mean that a eulogy should not replace the homily, but the phraseology makes one fear that they actually do not want a eulogy at all, ever.

GIRM 382 follows closely the Catechism of the Catholic Church no. 1688.
Bob
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

I presume most people would be shocked if a presentation, on for example parish reorganisation, was inserted into the celebration of a Mass for the Dead. It would - I imagine - be deemed 'insensitive' or 'disrespectful'. Yet apparently it is okay to insert such presentations into a Mass in communion with Jesus Christ that celebrates his death and resurrection.
Bob
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

BobHayes wrote:How about a meeting after Mass?
Because these things affect the whole community not just the three or four people who are in a position to attend such a meeting.

BobHayes wrote:I presume most people would be shocked if a presentation, on for example parish reorganisation, was inserted into the celebration of a Mass for the Dead.... Yet apparently it is okay to insert such presentations into a Mass in communion with Jesus Christ that celebrates his death and resurrection.
You're suggesting that Masses for the Dead don't celebrate Christ's death and resurrection?
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Nick Baty wrote:
BobHayes wrote:I presume most people would be shocked if a presentation, on for example parish reorganisation, was inserted into the celebration of a Mass for the Dead.... Yet apparently it is okay to insert such presentations into a Mass in communion with Jesus Christ that celebrates his death and resurrection.
You're suggesting that Masses for the Dead don't celebrate Christ's death and resurrection?

I could have worded my posting better and will hold my hand-up to careless phrasing. That said, I am sure you know the answer to your own question Nick.

So, to be succinct, do you think it is okay to insert a presentation into any Mass because too many parishioners presume that 'Go forth and glorify the Lord by your life' is a euphemism for 'Job done, see you next Sunday'? If people do a runner at this point, I suggest that catechesis, rather than administrative creativity it what is needed!

By the way, I don't make these comments from some rural idyll where activism is routine. At the inner-urban church where I worship anywhere between twenty and forty will attend an after Mass meeting.
Bob
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

BobHayes wrote:At the inner-urban church where I worship anywhere between twenty and forty will attend an after Mass meeting.
So you've really answered your own question – the after-Mass meeting is poorly attended.
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Ten times greater than the number you find turn-up post Mass, eh? But to the question again, do you think it is okay to use the Mass as a vehicle for a presentation?
Bob
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

BobHayes wrote:Ten times greater than the number you find turn-up post Mass, eh?
Ten times more? But not enough. In our case just 50% of the assembly would be present to hear information which affects all.
BobHayes wrote:But to the question again, do you think it is okay to use the Mass as a vehicle for a presentation?
A rather strange question as, surely, noone would agree with that and noone has suggested it. But you appear to object to giving information to the community before the community is dismissed.
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Nick Baty wrote:
BobHayes wrote:Ten times greater than the number you find turn-up post Mass, eh?
Ten times more? But not enough. In our case just 50% of the assembly would be present to hear information which affects all.
BobHayes wrote:But to the question again, do you think it is okay to use the Mass as a vehicle for a presentation?
A rather strange question as, surely, noone would agree with that and noone has suggested it. But you appear to object to giving information to the community before the community is dismissed.

Not at all. Brief announcements are reasonable if that is the only option to communicate them effectively.

Incidentally, it was a formal, ten-minute presentation by a guest speaker (in a cathedral) that struck me as wholly inappropriate. The solemnity of the sung Mass was interrupted by the hectoring of a speaker eager to tell worshippers what a fine organisation he represented. After ten minutes we then moved to the Concluding Rites.
Bob
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

BobHayes wrote:Not at all. Brief announcements are reasonable if that is the only option to communicate them effectively.
Is there another option?
BobHayes wrote:The solemnity of the sung Mass...
How do you define a sung Mass?
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Nick Baty wrote:
BobHayes wrote:Not at all. Brief announcements are reasonable if that is the only option to communicate them effectively.
Is there another option?
BobHayes wrote:The solemnity of the sung Mass...
How do you define a sung Mass?

Newsletter, noticeboards, fliers, even ICT.

Define a 'sung Mass'? The one to which I refer was described as '17.30 Solemn Mass (Choir)' on the Westminster Cathedral website.
Bob
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

BobHayes wrote:Newsletter, noticeboards, fliers, even ICT.
Unlikely to be seen by many.
BobHayes wrote:The one to which I refer was described as '17.30 Solemn Mass (Choir)' on the Westminster Cathedral website.
Ah!
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Parish newsletter not seen by many? Isn't that the piece of paper put inside the hymn books along with a Mass card and handed to worshippers when they arrive? The paper some read before Mass begins, others during the homily? The paper that has the antiphons and readings on one side and parish announcements on the other?
Bob
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

So, you're a First Communion parent. You've come to Mass because the PP has told you that you must in order to register your child for First Communion. Will you really sit and read a piece of paper about why First Communions take place at the cathedral after Confirmation?

You're a 90-year-old who's lived in the parish all your life. You've always been involved, what some would call "devote". But now your eyesight is failing. Will you sit and read a piece of paper which explains that you're now in a new parish with a new name?

You can't read....

You have a parish priest who speaks superbly but has problems putting his thoughts into written form...
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

You missed out 'lighting in the church is poor', 'English is not my first language' and 'the photocopier has been excommunicated', but I take your point. So, please tell me, how long is 'long enough' for these announcements within and interrupting the Mass at which we celebrate the Eucharist - the 'source and summit of Christian life'? Two minutes, five, ten, twenty?
Bob