Year of Faith

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Re: Year of Faith

Post by BobHayes »

Nick Baty wrote:
BobHayes wrote:Robert Mickens' evident embarrassment about so much of the Church's heritage
Can you give us some examples from his columns in The Tablet over the last few months, please?

An article from 1 June edition: http://www.thetablet.co.uk/blogs/314/17

This short paragraph from the above encapsulates his disdain: 'These are tense days inside the papal enclave. The 'mess' inside its walls is complicated, but a few things are clear'. 'Papal enclave' - I wonder if the his first draft used 'papal bunker'?

And earlier this year we had his tasteless anticipation of Pope Benedict's death and speculation about a successor. Sorry I don't have a link to that at hand.

It doesn't do to take The Tablet too seriously. With its bookshop offering a discount on a sado-masochist novel - E.L. James’ Fifty Shades of Grey (Arrow, £7.99; Tablet price £7.20) referenced in Sally Read's book review in the latest edition http://www.thetablet.co.uk/review/628 - it is evidently open to all viewpoints.
Bob
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

BobHayes wrote:I wonder if the his first draft used 'papal bunker'?
Why might you wonder that?
BobHayes wrote:Sorry I don't have a link to that at hand.
Just give me the date and page number – I can look it up.
BobHayes wrote:It doesn't do to take The Tablet too seriously.
I take it very seriously – especially when it's nearing payday and they owe me!
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Nick Baty wrote:
BobHayes wrote:I wonder if the his first draft used 'papal bunker'?
Why might you wonder that?

BobHayes reply: Tone maybe?

BobHayes wrote:Sorry I don't have a link to that at hand.
Just give me the date and page number – I can look it up.

Bob Hayes reply: Say please! Link: http://www.thetablet.co.uk/article/162152
BobHayes wrote:It doesn't do to take The Tablet too seriously.

I take it very seriously – especially when it's nearing payday and they owe me!

:D
Last edited by BobHayes on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

In quoting my post, you appear to have added things which were not originally there.
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Nick Baty wrote:In quoting my post, you appear to have added things which were not originally there.

My ICT skills are not immense. I'll see what I can do.
Bob
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Worry not. I don't think there's any mileage in the discussion.
musicus

Post by musicus »

You won't be the first poster to be (quite understandably) confused by the forum's quotation syntax. It is logical but obscure. I recommend careful use of the 'preview' facility.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

BobHayes wrote:It doesn't do to take The Tablet too seriously

True, The Tablet doesn't always get everything right, but it is the only serious, intelligent Catholic weekly out there. And its Rome correspondent, Robert Mickens, is considerably better informed than most.
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

IncenseTom wrote:Here in the Leeds Diocese we have been given cards with prayers on for the YofF. The cards are made up of the Angelus on one side and the Anima Christi on the other.

About 2 minute before Mass, Fr comes out and leads the congregation in the Angelus - at every Mass.
Individual praying of the Anima Christi is encouraged after communion. I'm slightly worried that this might lead to folk groaning when they see Soul of my Saviour down as the communion hymn, which would be a shame.

I'm not aware of any events at Diocese or Parish level yet - possibly something to do with Archbishop Arthur moving to the continent and plans not being firmed up?

It is good to hear that things are happening, although the absence of a bishop can be challenging. That said, I believe the Year of Faith is a wonderful opportunity for parishes to develop their own work of evangelisation according to the particular needs of the flock - and to develop outreach to those who have fallen away or who have not yet heard the Good News. The documents of Vatican II, the Catechism, the Magisterium and the Hierarchy have given us the vehicle manual - but it is the parishes that are in the driving seat. I pray that we engage gear and set out into the Year of Faith with confidence and enthusiasm.
Bob
MaryR

Post by MaryR »

Like Bob, I was surprised that some dioceses don't seem to be promoting the Year of Faith. In Birmingham, it's being talked about everywhere! There is a wealth of information here, and there are meetings and studies days going on at Deanery level. It is up to people to get things going in their own parishes, but there are also plenty of diocesan led events and workshops. The ones I’ve been to so far all advocate getting to know (if you don’t already) the church documents. The aim is to grow our our own faith and to find ways of sharing that faith with others.

Archbishop Bernard has really embraced Pope Benedict’s apostolic letter, Porta Fidei, which says:

“May this Year of Faith make our relationship with Christ the Lord increasingly firm, since only in him is there the certitude for looking to the future and the guarantee of an authentic and lasting love.”
Mary
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

MaryR wrote:It is up to people to get things going in their own parishes........
And there Mary has hit the nail on the head.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

MaryR wrote:Archbishop Bernard has really embraced Pope Benedict’s apostolic letter, Porta Fidei........

And at our clergy days he spoke about and encouraged us to read this: Lineamenta (Yes, we've had "in service" days on the YOF)
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
musicus

Post by musicus »

[At this point, I have split the subsequent OT posts to a new thread entitled 'Catholic periodicals'. Please continue here regarding the Year of Faith.]
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

We now have a Year of Faith noticeboard at the back of church detailing our activities and those of other parishes within the diocese. There seems to be plenty going on, ranging from prayer events through to talks and presentations. Obviously there are pragmatic issues about picking the best day and time of day for activities - to meet different parishioners' needs: outside working hours, availability of public transport or car sharing, personal security and the like. Hopefully no-one will get 'spiritual indigestion' [I cannot claim credit for that term.] from the many and varied events. If you attended the International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin you will know what I mean!
Bob
promusica
Parish / Diocese: Ashbourne Meath Ireland

Post by promusica »

A few things are happening in our parish for the Year of Faith. We've just introduced the Alpha course (halfway through it now) for the first time ever, with twenty parishioners participating and probably at least that many signed up for the next one. It's a good way for people to get to know the essentials of Christianity (the essentials of Catholicism might come later - some parishes are doing this as a follow-up; perhaps the best way is to do this alongside). We're also in the process at re-structuring the liturgy team. For later on, we're planning an icon-writing course. Should be good! Small projects, but hopefully all very worthwhile.