Norrenough gud choons

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Re: Norrenough gud choons

Post by Gwyn »

Thanks for the link MCB. Useful.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Fr Eugene Monaghan (now sadly no longer with us) produced 3 books for the whole set and nearly all of them are very singable and even memorable. He published them himself and they have a Celtic feel. Psalm Songs 1 to 3 published by Cassell are good but perhaps more tricky.
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

Academy in Scotland & James MacMillan

Postby Peter Jones » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:13 pm
http://www.aosm.org.uk/

Have they written any good tunes?
JW

Post by JW »

I have to say that we have the opposite problem: almost too much choice! I looked at the Responsorial Psalms for Advent C on Saturday, and have narrowed down to 3 or 4 for each Sunday to offer a choice to our various cantors: Here is what we will be choosing from:

Sunday 1: We'll be singing the setting on Mike Anderson's website. Others considered were Laudate No 43a (Stephen Dean / Laurence Benevot) and Eugene Monaghan's setting from 'With Heart and Voice'

Sunday 2: We'll be singing the Bernadette Farrell setting in Veni Emmanuel. Others considered were Laudate No 57 (Stephen Dean's full version), which we used a few weeks ago, as well as Evelyn Lee's setting found on the Queen of Peace Singapore website.

Sunday 3: We'll choose from (1) Christopher Walker setting from Veni Emmanuel; (2) Andrew Mackerell setting from Veni Emmanuel, Evelyn Lee from Queen of Peace, (4) Mike Anderson

Sunday 4: We'll choose from (1) Psallite; (2) Patrick Killen, Sing a New Psalm; (3) Queen of Peace.

You can also improvise. For example, on All Saints Day, I was not expecting to sing and was unaccompanied, so I made up a response an hour before Mass and used one of the Dom Gregory Murray tones for the psalm. Mike Anderson also encourages improvisation so I put a descant on his response for Christ the King yesterday; it popped into my head as I was driving to Mass.

For the Gospel Acclamation in Advent, we'll use Nick Bay's Veni Emmanuel settings, that he very kindly sent out recently, but I'll adapt them to use the Year C words for the 1st two weeks.

The choices above reflect the preferences of most of our cantors and congregations, we have 7 different cantors and try to tailor the psalm to each one's ability and preference. Another important point is that only a couple of cantors own certain resources, e.g. Veni Emmanuel and Psallite. We frequently use through-composed settings, although chant settings have their place in our liturgy. One of our cantors accompanies herself on guitar, but all the others prefer organ accompaniment. The psalm of last resort, when the cantor rings up on a Sunday morning to say s/he can't make it, will usually be the setting for the day in Catholic Hymns Old & New which are quite sight-readable for a couple of us.

As for Mass settings, there are now so many out there, I doubt any of us has looked through more than a small percentage of the total.

Writing your own takes time and I have every admiration for those who put pen to paper regularly!
JW
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

Thanks for the information JW.

However, what I am asking is if the people behind the new Scottish liturgy academy have written any good tunes.

I am looking for something like Dan Schutte's 'Mass of the Savior' or 'Eagles wings'.

There seems to be so much music on the internet that is devoid of musical interest, and
composed by people who do not like popular RC music.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

JW wrote:For the Gospel Acclamation in Advent, we'll use Nick Bay's Veni Emmanuel settings, that he very kindly sent out recently, but I'll adapt them to use the Year C words for the 1st two
Sh, JW - not everyone has a copy! Most people only have a sample which doesn't include all the verses. :D
alan29

Post by alan29 »

johnquinn39 wrote:Thanks for the information JW.

However, what I am asking is if the people behind the new Scottish liturgy academy have written any good tunes.

I am looking for something like Dan Schutte's 'Mass of the Savior' or 'Eagles wings'.

There seems to be so much music on the internet that is devoid of musical interest, and
composed by people who do not like popular RC music.

Maybe they are a little narrower in their focus?