High esteem for the pipe organ?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Re: High esteem for the pipe organ?

Post by musicus »

Certainly, there is more to be said on this topic.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
JW

Post by JW »

I love the organ and I know many others who also love the instrument. OK, there are many who hate it but name any instrument and you can find lots of people who don't like it, whether it be guitar, drum, violin or flute. Is anyone seriously suggesting that the English choral tradition, which so impressed the Pope on his visit, be abandoned? Does not the father's house contain many mansions?
JW
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

JW wrote: Is anyone seriously suggesting that the English choral tradition, which so impressed the Pope on his visit, be abandoned?

I also love the organ but not all are magnificent examples and many do not attract players in our churches so parishes have to make difficult decisions sometimes.

I also love what some may call the English choral tradition but in the way this term is often used we can find increasingly fewer examples in our churches. Not wishing at this stage to explore the proposal that traditions are not fossils in an ecclesiastical museum, I would wish to consider the huge cost of maintaining our English choral tradition. Throw enough money at the music ministry in any church and you could consider creating choir schools and attracting the most skilled organists, conductors and guest singers from outside the denomination let alone parish.

The Pope is, of course, entitled to express his delight in the 'English choral tradition' he may have experienced in a couple of the venues he visited, but most bishops would probably admit that, as soon as they leave a parish after their once -in-few-years visit where the parish has 'pulled out the stops', the standards and resources may decline from such high points. We need to remmber that the Pope also experienced other forms of liturgical music at Hyde Park and at the Youth gathering. I was at Westminster Abbey for the Pope's visit and the music was magnificent. I loved it, but I didn't have to pay for it!

Some years ago I recall hearing that the Administrator of one of our most significantly musical churches invited the congregation, who had come to hear the choir, to consider paying for it! I hope that report was accurate.

Some dioceses and benefactors have decided to commit financial resources to enable the tradition to continue and we have some magnificent examples in some cathedrals and parish churches but in the majority the funding for organs and music in general is paltry with singers having to buy their own music.

In this year of faith what are we are advocating? ... churches that commit so many of their precious resources to looking inwards that they diminish the mission of the Church to be men and women for others outside the rarified confines of the church walls?

To those musicians in parishes I would wish to wish to offer every encouragement in your often thankless task. I would suggest that you endeavour to find inspiration and good experiences outside the parish and to bring them back into your situation. Diocesan/Deanery choirs and summer conferences may be a good avenue to try this. The Society of St Gregory and National Network of Pastoral Musicians offer summer schools and other opportunities for formation. Perhaps in this Year of Faith we musicians might consider renewing our faith in what we are about and in gathering with other musicians so that we can ensure that no musician is an island.
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

4 wot it's worth: here's my 5c.

A few years ago, I asked people to say exactly what they thought about the music at Sunday Mass,
and invited criticism. People have been more that generous in supplying this, but it has been a
useful excercise.

After Holy Week last year, I was approached by a parishioner who said that he could not stand the sound
of the pipe organ. I replied by saying that I was ambivalent about what instrument(s) are used, and in
my role as parish helper, the pipe organ is an instrument that is at hand.

Some weeks later, another parishioner approached me and spoke at some length about how he loved the sound
of the organ.

While having a week off during summer, I attended Mass where the m.d. has forbidden organ accompaniment.
The music was beautifully accompanied by guitars and a keyboard, but there were, in my view, a number of
items that would have been better with pipe organ.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

There are just too many variables.
Went to Taize where 4000+ people were accompanied by a single, beautifully played guitar. It was spine-tingling and deeply moving.
Went to Tanzania where our trad Christmas carols were led by a choir of children accompanied only by a large hand drum. Magic.
Have been to places where the organ has been so badly played that it was an impediment to both singing and prayer.
Horses for courses has to be part of the answer, and personnel has to be another part.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

However high my esteem for the pipe organ I still believe a congregation needs to hear itself sing.
I say this after a funeral Mass today where the superb Compton organ was fully restored 5 years ago with the help of lottery and other heritage grants. There were possibly 120 people there and since our connection with the deceased was musical, there were plenty of excellent singers. But we could not hear the singing of Abide with me or Crimond. We could only hear the glory of the organ. Not sure this is best practice. I know I am only a singer who gets to play our organ, but this may be the reason I tone down the volume and let the singing be heard.
He did however manage a very sympathetic accompaniment to May the choirs of angels, cantored by PP while deacon sprinkled and incensed.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Hare

Post by Hare »

VML wrote:However high my esteem for the pipe organ I still believe a congregation needs to hear itself sing.
I say this after a funeral Mass today where the superb Compton organ was fully restored 5 years ago with the help of lottery and other heritage grants. There were possibly 120 people there and since our connection with the deceased was musical, there were plenty of excellent singers. But we could not hear the singing of Abide with me or Crimond. We could only hear the glory of the organ. Not sure this is best practice. I know I am only a singer who gets to play our organ, but this may be the reason I tone down the volume and let the singing be heard.
He did however manage a very sympathetic accompaniment to May the choirs of angels, cantored by PP while deacon sprinkled and incensed.

With a congregation, one has to know how to LEAD. The organ is not there to follow the singers, rather the other way round. It is therefore no use "under playing" - especially at the start of something. An experienced player should, however, be able to judge the amount of organ required.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

I am a fairly experienced funeral accompanist. I lead on the first couple of verses, but then tone it down a little for a verse. The church does not need to vibrate through the whole hymn.
Hare

Post by Hare »

VML wrote:I am a fairly experienced funeral accompanist. I lead on the first couple of verses, but then tone it down a little for a verse. The church does not need to vibrate through the whole hymn.

Sounds as though you are absolutely on track!
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Hare observed,
Sounds as though you are absolutely on track!

Indeedy. :D