Ecclesiastical furniture wanted!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Does anybody in the midlands know of anywhere which has a spare - I don't even know if this is the correct term for it - prayer rail that might be available to a good home? (I mean the kneeler and pew-height vertical piece that sits in front of a front row of pews)

The front row of our choir currently kneels on the floor, which may be very devotional but has its drawbacks. I'm looking for something about 7' long, and ideally in a contemporary style to fit in with the rest of the church.

thanks if you can help
Paul Hodgetts
Southern Comfort

Re: Ecclesiastical furniture wanted!

Post by Southern Comfort »

Would be better if they just sat instead of trying to kneel on the floor. It's possible to sit quietly and reverently.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

And/or remain standing. Our singers stand throughout the eucharistic prayer, ready to lead the singing but also because the PP thinks standing is the correct posture at this point.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Southern Comfort wrote:Would be better if they just sat instead of trying to kneel on the floor. It's possible to sit quietly and reverently.

Hear, hear! My choir are in a gallery with no kneelers, and insist on kneeling on the floor.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Have you tried Freecycle? What about redundant churches? We seem to have them closing at a rate of a couple a year round here. There should be someone in the diocese keeping an eye on that stuff.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

First, all credit to Paul H for recognising and supporting the heartfelt devotion of choir members and its traditional physical expression, rather than loftily telling them they need not do that. There are self-styled liturgical experts hereabouts who would do well to consider the humility of his example, not to mention that of the choir.

Second, here's a novel idea: why not use an altar rail for the purpose for which it was intended? If Protestants can do so with admirable reverence for a mere symbol of Our Lord's body and blood, how much more ...?
Last edited by musicus on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: musicus
Ian Williams
Alium Music
musicus

Post by musicus »

I say again: address the issue, not the person. I have only slightly moderated the previous post; I could have gone further. This snarky, sniping tone is not welcome here.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

musicus wrote:I say again: address the issue, not the person. I have only slightly moderated the previous post; I could have gone further. This snarky, sniping tone is not welcome here.

The person concerned has the same Christian (am I allowed to say that?) name as the one who posted here under the honesty of his own name. Those posting here know that, even tho' we're forced to go along with the artful anonymity with which you connive, so it was reasonable to clarify the matter. The substance of my observation was not "snarky" (I think the word you were looking for was "sarcastic"), but a valid - may I even suggest "Catholic" without criticism for "snarky sniping" at your friend? - comment on a response to Paul H's query; a response that failed to recognise its fundamental charity, but rather took it as an opportunity to dismiss his choristers' ignorance; and a comment that raised issues of liturgical and pastoral substance. Shame on you, Musicus, for once again criticising the messenger. I am confirmed in my non-membership of your right-on, navel-gazing organisation, and in my understanding of why another won't renew his.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
Dom Perignon
Parish / Diocese: SSG Moderator

Post by Dom Perignon »

The topic here is a request for a front-row kneeler - not the rights and wrongs of whether or not to kneel. IMHO if people want to kneel (and I am a 'kneeler'), they should, if possible, be provided with the facilities to enable them to do so - so if anyone can help out here, please do so by sending a pm.

NT, I am sure that you can do better than throwing a fairly cheap insult at the organisation that provides the forum upon which you express your views. I am a member, often agree with your views (no-one has ever described me as being 'right on', and I know plenty of members who have similar views to mine). I value many of your comments - but this is a bit rich. I am not going to edit your post (but will act further if this sort of thing continues), however, I am going to lock this topic as it has served its original purpose.
Forum Moderator