Year of Faith Hymn

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Year of Faith Hymn

Post by Peter Jones »

http://www.annusfidei.va/content/novaevangelizatio/en/annus-fidei/inno-musicale.html

Please, anyone already downloaded this? The download is not working at the moment. Thanks.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
JW

Re: Year of Faith Hymn

Post by JW »

Nope, didn't work for me either, but the hymn doesn't seem to be plainchant and they're going to put it into English. I wonder when it's supposed to be sung? 27 people like it so it must be fine.

Incidentally, this is not a particularly good site and there are quite a few typos as well as an English word I haven't come across before "indiction", as in Apostolic Letter Porta Fidei for the indiction of the Year of Faith. Should this be induction? Hope they've got the names of all the members and consultants right, there are some obvious mistakes with capitalization on their titles.
It doesn't inspire me to tell my "firends".

Have skimmed the Apostolic Letter but I'm not sure why a Year of Faith is needed. Hasn't the church been passing on the faith properly since V2?
JW
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

JW wrote:Should this be induction?

Nope, but it is a churchy word. In origin -

indiction |inˈdik sh ən|
noun historical
a fiscal period of fifteen years used as a means of dating events and transactions in the Roman Empire and in the papal and some royal courts. The system was instituted by the Emperor Constantine in ad 313 and was used until the 16th century in some places.
• [with numeral ] a particular year in such a period.
ORIGIN from Latin indiction-, from the verb indicere (see indict ).
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

JW wrote: I wonder when it's supposed to be sung?
On 14th October and then daily for 364 days?
Website
JW

Post by JW »

Thanks Peter, but I'm even more confused as the definition makes no sense to me in the context of the use of the word on the website.
JW
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

I can see this only hazily, but from first (mental) run through it doesn't seem the most inspiring of tunes. Almost pop style. I may be wrong.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Peter Jones wrote:http://www.annusfidei.va/content/novaevangelizatio/en/annus-fidei/inno-musicale.html

Please, anyone already downloaded this? The download is not working at the moment. Thanks.

No, the download has never worked since the site first went live, and the promised English version has not yet materialised.

The best thing you can do is right click on the image of the first page of the Italian music and Save Image As. Then paste your saved image into a Word document and drag-enlarge it to fit the page margins. You will get a blurred, semi-legible copy of page 1 of what looks like a standard verse with a semi-pomposo refrain. It's enough to get an idea. Page 2 presumably contains the remainder of the refrain and nothing else.

Computer technology has never been the Vatican's strong point.... :wink:
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

I always feel uneasy about "Years of......" So often, the focus is forgotten the following year. the mind positively boggles................! :shock:
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

It reminds me of this:

Tom Lehrer

And now I'm just off for the Afternoon of Grocery Shopping.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Love him, especially The Vatican Rag
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

To be honest I have frequently discovered a Year of Whatever just as it is closing! I think this one is different and deserves our attention. The Pope has given us a year's notice and this may be long enough to prepare some supportive resources. When we do eventually get access to the download of the Year of Faith Hymn we may indeed find it wanting but surely readers of this forum can turn themselves to offering some creative ideas also.

None of the 'Years of ...' are intended to impact only on the assigned Year ... the Year is an attempt to focus our attention and reap the benefit for years after.

I'd be interested to read what supportive ideas individuals, parishes, schools and dioceses are considering.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

HallamPhil wrote:None of the 'Years of ...' are intended to impact only on the assigned Year ... the Year is an attempt to focus our attention and reap the benefit for years after. .

absolutely, but I think the words "intended" and "attempt" are key words! (Removes cynical hat and goes to clean out the fridge) :wink:
PaulB
Parish / Diocese: Hexham and Newcastle

Post by PaulB »

I have a pdf of this in Italian - a nice lady from the Segreteria Organizzativa Anno della Fede was in touch within the hour when I notified the broken link. Translations to follow "soon". Can't post it here as I'm getting a board-attachment-quota-has-been-reached message, will PM if anyone wants it.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

PaulB wrote:Can't post it here as I'm getting a board-attachment-quota-has-been-reached message, will PM if anyone wants it.

That's the second time this "we're full up!" problem has been mentioned in the past couple of weeks. Can Admin sort it out for us?
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

The download - Italian version - is now working.
Website