Year of Faith Hymn

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Re: Year of Faith Hymn

Post by Peter Jones »

Southern Comfort wrote:and the promised English version has not yet materialised........

Beginning to wonder here if someone, somewhere is having great difficulty in producing a translation in good English to fit the tune (not that I care too much for the tune).
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
JW

Post by JW »

I wonder if other translations are in the pipeline: Spanish, Chinese, etc, or will use of the hymn be restricted to those who speak Italian or English? There are enough linguists in Rome to be able to produce these translations but I guess they are all on holiday..............
JW
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

A Google translation of verse one is rather embarrassing and I dare not post it. But do try it for yourself. :wink: (depends on where you join/split the syllables to form words)
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Having attempted a rough translation myself now, I can understand why an English version is taking some time. Perhaps someone, somewhere - with more than a smidgen of linguistic, poetic and musical skill - can produce a paraphrase without feeling tied to the official tune. We can produce our own melody.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Still no official English translation. Too late for me. The diocesan opening Mass for the Year of Faith is planned now. We're going to sing the Missal Chant of Credo III.
Website
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

Peter Jones wrote:... We're going to sing the Missal Chant of Credo III.

In English, in case anyone is wondering.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Alan wrote:In English, in case anyone is wondering.

Ita vero
Website