More from Mgr Wadsworth

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Southern Comfort

Re: More from Mgr Wadsworth

Post by Southern Comfort »

NorthernTenor wrote:His wish to deny Msgr. Wadsworth a platform does not encourage me, though.
Please read my posts again. I do not wish to deny Mgr Wadsworth a platform, only a platform in the context of the SSG Crichton lecture. However, I am encouraged by what Keitha said above on behalf of the Trustees.
keitha wrote:The SSG’s object is “to promote study, understanding and good practice in the celebration of the liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church, in accordance with the teaching of the Church.” The Trustees hope that Mgr Wordsworth can provide some insight into the new translation and its process, and provide some reasoned views on those matters covered by our object. We hope that there will be an opportunity for reasoned discussion for the benefit of all.
He seems to say that if Mgr Wadsworth includes in his lecture the content of his recent talks worldwide, then that will be manifestly outside the brief he has been given.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Re: More from Mgr Wadsworth

Post by NorthernTenor »

Southern Comfort wrote:
NorthernTenor wrote:His wish to deny Msgr. Wadsworth a platform does not encourage me, though.
Please read my posts again. I do not wish to deny Mgr Wadsworth a platform, only a platform in the context of the SSG Crichton lecture. However, I am encouraged by what Keitha said above on behalf of the Trustees.
keitha wrote:The SSG’s object is “to promote study, understanding and good practice in the celebration of the liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church, in accordance with the teaching of the Church.” The Trustees hope that Mgr Wordsworth can provide some insight into the new translation and its process, and provide some reasoned views on those matters covered by our object. We hope that there will be an opportunity for reasoned discussion for the benefit of all.
He seems to say that if Mgr Wadsworth includes in his lecture the content of his recent talks worldwide, then that will be manifestly outside the brief he has been given.

Senior ecclesial appointments can be fascinating for those with an interest in liturgical thinking, practice and regulation. This is as true at the levels of organisation, diocese and conference as it is in the Vatican. In this respect the appointments of Msgr. Wadsworth as Executive Director of ICEL, Msgr. Egan as Bishop of Portsmouth and Fr. Gunter as Secretary of the Liturgy Office are quite as interesting as ++Arthur’s promotion to Rome. Individuals’ views tend to be more nuanced than the labels applied to them, but it’s possible to sense the way the wind’s blowing. It will be interesting to see whether and how those who have built their careers and businesses on the old enthusiasms reposition themselves in consequence.
Ian Williams
Alium Music