Tunes congregations always get wrong

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Tunes congregations always get wrong

Post by VML »

Music is for the ears. Singing is mostly best learned aurally if possible. Writing music down was and is a way to preserve it and, ok, keep it fairly consistent. But did Bach and Mozart always play things exactly as they had written?
My reference to the folk process comes from the fact that I am very involved in folk song, not from any labelling of hymn book songs or tunes, some of which may be neither folk nor hymns.. :?

Folk, in the context of the process, is people.

Chant also went through a process of being totally aural. Then a way was found to write it down. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

NorthernTenor wrote:On reading this thread, I'm sorry to say I'm reminded of the sheer futility of polishing a substance whose colloquial name aptly describes many of the words and settings produced and commended by members and friends of this august society.

The USE of settings / hymns / whatever, that might be - or perceived to be - of inferior quality should not necessarily condemn those that select them or authorise their use. I have a very free hand in the choice of music, supported by my PP, but if I were to exclude certain pieces on grounds of merit, I would not be serving the parish community by banishing well-liked things. I believe in a "give and take" approach; give people plenty of what they like (and probably "speaks" to them) and I find them more receptive to new ideas. eg - we made a 100% change to settings of the new translation at the beginning of last September, and I now have 3 settings up and running and have not had a word of complaint.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

VML wrote:Music is for the ears. Singing is mostly best learned aurally if possible. Writing music down was and is a way to preserve it and, ok, keep it fairly consistent. But did Bach and Mozart always play things exactly as they had written?
My reference to the folk process comes from the fact that I am very involved in folk song, not from any labelling of hymn book songs or tunes, some of which may be neither folk nor hymns.. :?

Folk, in the context of the process, is people.

Chant also went through a process of being totally aural. Then a way was found to write it down. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

Thats quite right, and is why there are such variations between regions.
Those of us who compose ....... do any of us play exactly what we have written?
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

"now thank we all our God": Quavers on the first syllable of "mother's arms" or not?
Hare

Post by Hare »

docmattc wrote:"now thank we all our God": Quavers on the first syllable of "mother's arms" or not?

Oh yes - an added passing note, as in Adeste Fideles :evil:
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

"Now thank we all our God": Quavers on the first syllable of "mother's arms" or not?

Never!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

What about the scotch snap at the end of the chorus in "Take our bread?"
Hare

Post by Hare »

alan29 wrote:What about the scotch snap at the end of the chorus in "Take our bread?"

Not experienced that - but even I leave out the curious rest in the middle of the verse of this; congregations would never last 2 beats, and it seems meaningless...

Oh - and how about the triplet quavers in "Living Lord" becoming a crotchet and 2 quavers.......? :evil:
kerrezza
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by kerrezza »

This morning I heard several different interpretations of 'Be not afraid' from where I was standing; organist on my right playing as written, a couple of people, in the choir, off to my left doing their own thing (despite them being at practice when we stopped, several times, to try and get the timing right);that coupled with what the congregation were singing made for some interesting syncopation.
JW

Post by JW »

Last note of the 1st line of the verse in 'Lay your hands": F or A?
JW
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Hare wrote:
alan29 wrote:What about the scotch snap at the end of the chorus in "Take our bread?"

Not experienced that - but even I leave out the curious rest in the middle of the verse of this; congregations would never last 2 beats, and it seems meaningless...

Oh - and how about the triplet quavers in "Living Lord" becoming a crotchet and 2 quavers.......? :evil:

.... or quaver, crotchet, quaver. That happens quite a lot when congregations are confronted with a lurking triplet.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

The trick is to write it as crotchets and quavers and give them a couple of gins – then you'll hear them sing it as triplets! But, seriously, is there really any such thing as singing it wrong?
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Nick Baty wrote:The trick is to write it as crotchets and quavers and give them a couple of gins – then you'll hear them sing it as triplets! But, seriously, is there really any such thing as singing it wrong?

Youtube tells me that there is.