New Hymnal & Missal for the Extraordinary Form of the Mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

AntoineDaniel
Parish / Diocese: St. Patrick Parish

Post by AntoineDaniel »

http://www.ccwatershed.org/Campion/

This will contain the very best, most traditional hymns.
St. Antoine Daniel, pray for us!
Southern Comfort

Re: New Hymnal & Missal for the Extraordinary Form of the Ma

Post by Southern Comfort »

Just to say that some may have difficulties with the allying of St Edmund Campion to this project.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Is there a place for hymns in the EF?
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

Southern Comfort wrote:Just to say that some may have difficulties with the allying of St Edmund Campion to this project.

Why?

Nick Baty wrote:Is there a place for hymns in the EF?

The sequences are hymns, and definitely have their place. If my memory is correct, Pope Pius XII decided to allow vernacular hymns at mass, and that presumably still stands.

AntoineDaniel wrote:...

This will contain the very best, most traditional hymns.

To satisfy your criterion do hymns have to be both the best and most traditional? Of course, only one hymn can be the best hymn, and only one hymn the most traditional. (My English teacher was a pedant.)

Pedantry aside, the samples shown are very creditable. Is the missal suitable for use in Britain, apart from the expected odd spellings in the English translations?
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

nazard wrote:The sequences are hymns, and definitely have their place. If my memory is correct, Pope Pius XII decided to allow vernacular hymns at mass, and that presumably still stands.
As does Pius X's request that we sing the Mass. More than a century on, that's one that's still seen as a tad strange and new! But, sequences aside, we have very few hymns suitable for Mass. Our great collection of traditional, and very singable, hymns were mostly written for devotions. I'll always be grateful for those great hymns of my childhood – learned at Benediction, May devotions etc – as they helped me fall in love with music. Still can't hear O Godhead hid, devoutly I adore thee with its scrunchy harmonies without getting a tad gooey!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Nick Baty wrote:
nazard wrote:The sequences are hymns, and definitely have their place. If my memory is correct, Pope Pius XII decided to allow vernacular hymns at mass, and that presumably still stands.
As does Pius X's request that we sing the Mass. More than a century on, that's one that's still seen as a tad strange and new! But, sequences aside, we have very few hymns suitable for Mass. Our great collection of traditional, and very singable, hymns were mostly written for devotions. I'll always be grateful for those great hymns of my childhood – learned at Benediction, May devotions etc – as they helped me fall in love with music. Still can't hear O Godhead hid, devoutly I adore thee with its scrunchy harmonies without getting a tad gooey!

Agree with all of that.
Presumably one could get around the dearth of hymns by "raiding" the English Hymnal for Anglican hymns for the Eucharist. Though I'm not sure how that would sit with the sentiment that seems to be driving the EF.
Its "Sweet Sacrament Divine" that gives me the goose bumps.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

alan29 wrote:It's "Sweet Sacrament Divine" that gives me the goose bumps.
Especially that octave leap at "Therein thine ear all trustfully".
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

We will sing 'Soul of my Saviour' as Communion proessional tomorrow. Since it was used at a similar point at the JPII Mass at Coventry airport 30 years ago, I hope that's OK.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

We used that on Good Friday. One of the few strophic hymns which really works in a Communion procession.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Nick Baty wrote:We used that on Good Friday. One of the few strophic hymns which really works in a Communion procession.

We do that most years - our crowd disprove the notion that Catholics don't sing.
londonchurchman
Parish / Diocese: westminster

Post by londonchurchman »

This looks like a great resource, but am I right in thinking that the full EF with music is quite rare as most of the Latin masses with music are actually the OF, but in Latin with the sung propers etc. I have seen EF's advertised but these are usually said masses with no music, apart from Maiden Lane which does an EF every week.
londonchurchman
Parish / Diocese: westminster

Post by londonchurchman »

alan29 wrote:
Nick Baty wrote:

Agree with all of that.
Presumably one could get around the dearth of hymns by "raiding" the English Hymnal for Anglican hymns for the Eucharist. Though I'm not sure how that would sit with the sentiment that seems to be driving the EF.
Its "Sweet Sacrament Divine" that gives me the goose bumps.

I agree that there are some lovely Communion hymns in the EH and NEH, though few are as beautiful as "Sweet Sacrament Divine" My favourites include "Bread of Heaven on thee we feed"; "Faithful Shepherd Feed me"; "Just as I am" and the very beautiful and ancient "Let all mortal flesh keep silence". I also like "Lord enthroned in heavenly splendour" and "O Thou, who at thy Eucharist didst pray".
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

I agree that there are some lovely Communion hymns in the EH and NEH, though few are as beautiful as "Sweet Sacrament Divine" My favourites include "Bread of Heaven on thee we feed"; "Faithful Shepherd Feed me"; "Just as I am" and the very beautiful and ancient "Let all mortal flesh keep silence". I also like "Lord enthroned in heavenly splendour" and "O Thou, who at thy Eucharist didst pray".

While "Let all mortal flesh keep silence" works as a hymn during holy communion, it's based on the Cherubic Hymn sung in the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom and so is most appropriate as an Offertory Hymn. I love it, the tune Picardy is delightful.
AntoineDaniel
Parish / Diocese: St. Patrick Parish

Post by AntoineDaniel »

Friends,

Thank you for all these great comments.

A few notes:

1. In the EF, it is usual to have a Hymn in English at the end of Holy Mass.

2. It will be sold in England through AMAZON.COM — believe it or not, Fr. Lasance favoured English spellings.

GOD BLESS !!!
St. Antoine Daniel, pray for us!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

AntoineDaniel wrote:In the EF, it is usual to have a Hymn in English at the end of Holy Mass.

Don't let the guys at Music Sacra hear you say this! :lol: