Hymn for the Olympics

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Hymn for the Olympics

Post by organist »

HYMN FOR THE OLYMPICS

Let us run with perseverance

Let us run with perseverance,
on this Jesus fix our eyes
who endured from grief to glory,
faith's beginning and its prize.
Let us shed all things that hinder,
blur our vision, weigh us down;
look to him who brought redemption,
bore the cross and won the crown.

Some who run are counted heroes
gaining silver, bronze or gold;
all find joy in their competing,
round the track and round the world.
Some take part as paralympians,
climbing mountains to compete;
all need skill and strength and balance
for their course to be complete.

Some will measure time or distance,
record speed or length or height;
all in squad or team or solo
know the rules to keep them right.
Some will not be there for medals;
they too share this world of sport,
all who coach, supply and steward -
vital champions in support.

Trained and tuned, let us be ready,
hear the signal, start the race;
focussed to complete the circuit,
each in our appointed place.
Fully tested, still enduring,
on the goal we fix our eyes;
Christ for us has won the glory,
faith's beginning and its prize.

8787D Suggested tune: LUX EOI
words: Christopher Idle
Well known tunes which would work is Blaenwern or Hyfrodol. Another thought might be Love divine of Stainer played twice for each verse. There appear to be no copyright issues!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Hymn for the Olympics

Post by Nick Baty »

Goodness that’s a tad grim. And, although hymnic in form, it certainly isn’t in content – God hardly gets a look in.

Verses 2 and 3 sound like of one of those old grammar school songs from the days of selective education. The line in v4, “each in our appointed place”, has a touch of All things bright and beautiful – “God made them high a lowly and ordered their estate”.

Overall reminds me of the propaganda used at school to force us into PE and games – I’ve broken out in a cold sweat.
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

I think I might prefer something more inspired by the magnificat - cast out the mighty from their VIP lanes and scatter the greed-hearted...
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Sadly this sport isn't an Olympic one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5Y1OuQIxo
JW

Post by JW »

Nick Baty wrote:Overall reminds me of the propaganda used at school to force us into PE and games – I’ve broken out in a cold sweat.

PE and games are part of the National Curriculum at school, just like Music and unlike RE. There's an ongoing national debate about what should be in the school curriculum - to my own mind PE and games have every bit as much value as music and choral singing. Very often the only exercise children get today is at school. If St Paul can liken life's journey to competing in a race, is that propaganda? The hymn actually focuses on the collaboration needed in sport, rather than individual glory.

I do have an interest: I'm a former athlete (not international) and I have a basic job marshalling between stations and one of the stadia during the Olympics and Paralympics. I won't be able to work from home as has been recommended to civil servants! It's so popular that tickets have been virtually impossible to get. Yep, third world type VIP lanes do grate, but so do those clergy, bishops and Vatican staff who live it up in a lifestyle that most of their flock can't afford and there aren't too many comments about that on this forum.

The Olympics and Paralympics will be one of the best things that's happened in this country in a long time, not least because it is a great celebration of young people getting together primarily to achieve the near impossible. Money is far from being their prime motive. Everything is ready on time and these games will be the most sustainable ever. Enjoy the buzz, the competition and spare a thought for the millions who have worked incredibly hard to make this happen.
JW
organist

Post by organist »

I agree it's not that inspired but at least it's an effort!" Fight the good fight" might do at a pinch - run the straight race through God's good grace. Rugby is in the Olympics I think! I am much involved with More than Gold and the torch relay which is coming past the end of our road! Also with interfaith walks in South London and the 100 days of peace so busy! My sister in Sydney says that the city had never seen anything like the Olympics and Londoners will not know what has hit them! Praying for a great outreach by the churches during the torch relay and the Olympics and Paralympics! On that note I found myself having to do extempore prayer at a More than Gold meeting - managed it but evangelicals do this sort of thing so much better! It does mean that if you have to pray for the person who has just spoken you do have to listen! :lol:
londonchurchman
Parish / Diocese: westminster

Post by londonchurchman »

JW wrote:The Olympics and Paralympics will be one of the best things that's happened in this country in a long time, not least because it is a great celebration of young people getting together primarily to achieve the near impossible. Money is far from being their prime motive. Everything is ready on time and these games will be the most sustainable ever. Enjoy the buzz, the competition and spare a thought for the millions who have worked incredibly hard to make this happen.

As somebody who is working on one aspect of the Olympics project, it saddens me to say that money actually is the prime motive of the whole thing. I agree that for the participants and their families it will be a joyous event, but we should not kid ourselves that alongside this some people are going to get very rich, very quick. It was ever thus.
Last edited by londonchurchman on Fri May 18, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

You've attributed someone else's words to me, LC.
I see the Olympics as yet another event which we will have to endure.
londonchurchman
Parish / Diocese: westminster

Post by londonchurchman »

Nick Baty wrote:You've attributed someone else's words to me, LC.
I see the Olympics as yet another event which we will have to endure.

My apologies Nick, Clumsy editing I am afraid. I'll se if I can edit.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Not a problem at all. :D
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

For what reason was this text composed? What is its proposed liturgical usage?
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

I was presuming it had none! :(
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

organist wrote:Rugby is in the Olympics I think!

In fact Drop-kick me, Jesus is about American Football, not rugby.
JW

Post by JW »

Lots of cynicism and judgements here. Yes, for some people, the Olympics is about money - I've decided to be paid rather than volunteer (because I volunteer in other spheres, including at church). However, I don't think you can fairly say that Lord Coe, Princess Ann or even David Beckham are primarily motivated by money where the Olympics are concerned. Have a look at this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/football/9274492/London-2012-Olympics-David-Beckham-hits-out-at-critics-saying-Team-GB-selection-would-be-commercial-stunt.html.

A friend of mine competed at the 1976 Olympics; he made very little from the sport; being a teacher in a primary school was vastly more profitable for him and for his future career. As for the paralympians, they are role models for us all.

One of the things that really gets me going about British Society is the way that envy dominates the national debate; we think we are entitled to everything on a plate and are jealous of those who happen to be more fortunate than ourselves. I thought that part of the Gospel message was to step aside from such considerations. As it happens, I'm very proud to be part of the Games. Am I as proud to be part of the RC Church today? I don't know.

Liturgically, hopefully nobody will use this at a parish Sunday Mass, but there are other celebrations or prayer meetings for which this could be useful, e.g. a Mass for athletes. Singing this on a Sunday during the Olympics probably is not that far removed from singing a hymn to Our Lady at Mass on Ascension Day because it's May. 'More than gold' has already been mentioned as a way that churches are trying to interact with the Olympics rather than just 'enduring' them:
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1201865.htm
JW
organist

Post by organist »

I am pleased to report Catholic involvement in More than Gold which is great! Especially young people! 8)