Domine Salvum Fac

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Domine Salvum Fac

Post by Gwyn »

Hello brethren and sistren,

I wonder could someone point me to the plainchant "Domine Salvum Fac" somewhere on the web? It's required for a looming anniversary.

Thanks,
Gwyn.
John Ainslie

Re: Domine Salvum Fac

Post by John Ainslie »

Here you are, Gwyn - copied from 'Plainsong for Schools', part 1, compiled by the Society of Saint Gregory in 1930!
dominesalvumfac.pdf

You will have to replace 'regem nostrum Georgium' with 'reginam nostram Elizabeth' - an extra introductory LAH note for 're-ginam', otherwise note for note the same. Have fun with the translation of the prayer, especially 'vitiorum monstra devitare'! Here's the Latin edited for current use:

Quaesumus, omnipotens Deus, ut famula tua Elizabeth regina nostra, qui tua miseratione suscepit regni gubernacula, virtutum omnium percipiat incrementum: quibus decenter ornata, et vitiorum monstra devitare, et ad te qui via, veritas et vita es, cum principe consorte et prole regia, gratiosa valeat pervenire. Per Christum Dominum nostrum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

John. That's all I could want and more.

Thanks very much,
Gwyn.
old barmaid

Post by old barmaid »

Surely since February 6th 1952 it has been 'Domine salvAm fac ' in Her Majesty's
realms? It was in the Church choir I sang in throughout my teenage years - every Sunday at
the end of High Mass.
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

old barmaid wrote:Surely since February 6th 1952 it has been 'Domine salvAm fac ' in Her Majesty's realms? It was in the Church choir I sang in throughout my teenage years - every Sunday at the end of High Mass.

Oops! :oops: You're quite right!
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Visiting a different (and distant) parish last Sunday I heard that the Archbishops' and Bishops' conference has requested prayers for HM at Mass on Sunday 3rd June - I've not heard anything on the home patch (Archdiocese of Birmingham). are there recommended texts? - anything singable? (other than "Domine Salvam fac . . ") Is the National Anthem appropriate (tactfully omitting that verse1)?

Q
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

quaeritor wrote:I've not heard anything on the home patch (Archdiocese of Birmingham). are there recommended texts?

The Archbishop's Secretary (through me) has sent the prayers to all the clergy in the Archdiocese of Birmingham.....over a week ago.

The Liturgy Office has them here: http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Calendar/Info/Queen-60.pdf
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Is there a recommended psalm to follow that?
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

I cant see the problem with Domine Salvam fac myself. Do you minister at an anglican church Quaeritor?

There's always the V/ and R/ as set out in the BCP:
V/ O Lord, save the queen.
R/ And mercifully hear us when we call upon Thee.
Or alternatively, the R/ as per the Church in Wales
R/ And give her couselors wisdom.
Last edited by Gwyn on Wed May 23, 2012 7:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
musicus

Post by musicus »

quaeritor wrote:Visiting a different (and distant) parish last Sunday I heard that the Archbishops' and Bishops' conference has requested prayers for HM at Mass on Sunday 3rd June - I've not heard anything on the home patch (Archdiocese of Birmingham). are there recommended texts? - anything singable? (other than "Domine Salvam fac . . ") Is the National Anthem appropriate (tactfully omitting that verse1)?

Q

My PP showed me the Birmingham information last Sunday, so the hold-up is probably at your PP's in-tray, Q.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
JW

Post by JW »

Why am I intuitively a bit dubious about using the National Anthem in church when the Anglicans have it in A&M? Perhaps it's because of the large contingent who consider themselves non-English in Catholic churches.

Re Q's question about other music, I've heard suggestions of 'Zadok the Priest' and 'I vow to thee my Country' - I'll use the latter as the final voluntary for Sunday.
JW
Gradually
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Gradually »

"Domine salvam fac reginam nostram Elizabeth" from the 1954 edition of Plainsong for Schools, complete with all necessary extra notes and gender changes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Gradually wrote:"Domine salvam fac reginam nostram Elizabeth" from the 1954 edition of Plainsong for Schools, complete with all necessary extra notes and gender changes.

It really ought to be Domine salvam fac reginam nostram Elizabetham, since Elizabeth is usually rendered in Latin as a declinable feminine noun. At the coronation, in Parry's I was glad the words vivat Regina Elizabetha were sung.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

quaeritor wrote:Is the National Anthem appropriate (tactfully omitting that verse1)?

I think the Bps (or certainly the local Ordinary where I was) requested it for the last jubilee. I vaguely remember conducting the choir through it 10 years ago.
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

mcb wrote:It really ought to be Domine salvam fac reginam nostram Elizabetham, since Elizabeth is usually rendered in Latin as a declinable feminine noun.

Not in ecclesiastical Latin. I have just checked the collect for the memoria of St Elizabeth of Hungary (November 17) and it reads: "Deus, qui beatae Elisabeth tribuisti..." where the dative would require 'Elisabethae' if it were declined.