An historic liturgy

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

An historic liturgy

Post by Nick Baty »

Yesterday, I was privileged to be cantor at an historic occasion, the first ever civil partnership celebrated in a church. It was an interesting occasion, taking place in Liverpool's Unitarian Church which has some outstanding William Morris stained glass depictions of the saints and a library with a painted ceiling which includes St Francis of Assisi. The couple were Irish Catholic and Australian Anglican. The ministers were Catholic and Unitarian. And the congregation represented just about every Christian tradition and none.

The Liturgy of the Word was Roman in structure. I sang the psalm (Walker's Because the Lord is my Shepherd) backed by Liverpool's LGBT Choir – and very good they were too) and led the Gospel greeting. The Gospel was read by a Franciscan sister. The congregation's response was superb, partly due to the joy of the occasion and partly because of the number of Anglican clergymen in the congregation! Love Divine (Blaenwern) wasn't just sung – it was roared.

The sign of peace was passed from the ministers to the newly joined couple who then passed it down the church as we sang Let there be love shared among us. The rings were delivered by an owl who flew the length of the church onto the best man's arm. (And if you don't believe that bit, have a look at http://www.flyingtheknot.co.uk)

The rest of the ceremony was drawn from Catholic, Anglican and Orthodox sources and included the Rite of Brother Making which might have been celebrated between Ss Sergius and Bacchus.

It was great to attend an important event in the lives of two good friends. And I felt really honoured to be asked to sing. But, perhaps more than anything, I am proud to have played a role in yet another Liverpool First.
alan29

Re: An historic liturgy

Post by alan29 »

Good write up of an interesting event. I'm not sure if they were the first though ..... didn't another Unitarian Church (in Manchester) have one a few weeks ago?
A much loved and respected colleague had her funeral there several years ago. A lovely building.
Presumably there were no Trinitarian references in the liturgy?
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

No, the Manchester Unitarian church registered as a venue first but doesn't have a ceremony booked until the Autumn. Yes, lots of Trinitarian references. The couple had drawn the service together from their own traditions.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

The unitarian Church mentioned in Liverpool will be Ullet Road. Not quite correct to call it Liverpool Unitarian Church. There are two other Unitarian churches in Liverpool - The ancient Chapel of Toxteth, and Gateacre Chapel. Long-demolished, there was one in Hope Street, and going further back, Renshaw Street. My dad was minister at Gateacre and Hope Street from 1955-61

It is probably more true to say that unitarians are free to form their own beliefs rather than simply denying the Trinity (which many do!) My dad used to say that he "believed in the Trinity, but had difficulty with the doctrine of the Trinity as there is no biblical foundation for it............ 8)
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Thanks for that, Hare. I know the Ancient Chapel of Toxteth but hadn't realised it was Unitarian. The church I mentioned calls itself Ullet Road Unitarian Church.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

we have a lovely little listed one in Wallasey, too. A real "Arts and Crafts" gem, by all accounts. Now disused, I think and hard to get into.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

alan29 wrote:we have a lovely little listed one in Wallasey, too. A real "Arts and Crafts" gem, by all accounts. Now disused, I think and hard to get into.

In Manor Road, Liscard as i live and breath! Lots of "Arts & crafts" features. In the care of the Historic Chapels Trust (or something like it) and supposedly open at certain times. My parents were married there in 1955 and I played the organ for the 1st time in public there in 1965 aged 10, and my first wedding (my cousin's) in about 1969
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Hare wrote:
alan29 wrote:we have a lovely little listed one in Wallasey, too. A real "Arts and Crafts" gem, by all accounts. Now disused, I think and hard to get into.

In Manor Road, Liscard as i live and breath! Lots of "Arts & crafts" features. In the care of the Historic Chapels Trust (or something like it) and supposedly open at certain times. My parents were married there in 1955 and I played the organ for the 1st time in public there in 1965 aged 10, and my first wedding (my cousin's) in about 1969

Blimey.
Small world ....... Makes you think...... etc, etc. They are opening it in September for a day. I think a dance school might be using it. Thats got to be an excuse for a thread about liturgical dance, surely.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Yes, I think we are already overdue for a new thread.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

The event is reported in the current edition of The Tablet on page 14 (attached).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

Nick Baty wrote: The ministers were Catholic.........
From the breakaway group that the Tablet mentions?

If so, I think it should be made clear that neither "Bishop" Bruce nor "Bishop" Terry have received their so-called episcopal ordinations with the required apostolic mandate and that they are invalidly ordained. They are not catholic Bishops and have no faculty whatsoever to ordain anyone to the priesthood.
Last edited by Peter Jones on Fri May 18, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Peter Jones wrote:From the breakaway group that the Tablet mentions?
No
londonchurchman
Parish / Diocese: westminster

Post by londonchurchman »

It's heartwarming to read about this and it must have been a huge privilege to be involved in this historic event.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Yes it was, LC. And good to see so many children present – for them, right now, there was nothing unusual about the event. Hopefully, they will retain that view.

I usually avoid weddings and civil partnerships like the plague – such morbid occasions – but this one was really uplifting. Felt like the whole assembly really wanted to be there. It was spiritually uplifting.
londonchurchman
Parish / Diocese: westminster

Post by londonchurchman »

Nick Baty wrote:Yes it was, LC. And good to see so many children present – for them, right now, there was nothing unusual about the event. Hopefully, they will retain that view.

I usually avoid weddings and civil partnerships like the plague – such morbid occasions – but this one was really uplifting. Felt like the whole assembly really wanted to be there. It was spiritually uplifting.

Lovely, Nick. Some dear friends of mine are hoping to organise a Civil Partnership next year and I am really looking forward to it.