24 June Birth of John The Baptist

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

24 June Birth of John The Baptist

Post by Hare »

As this falls on a Sunday this year, what settings of the Responsorial Psalm will people be using? I am not impressed with the offerings in the two psalters we use regularly (McCrimmon Responsorial Psalter and Mayhew Responsorial Psalms ed Mawby

I like Bernadette Farrell's hymn-like setting but PP is fairly strict on sticking to the responsorial format...

Any ideas welcome.
John Ainslie

Re: 24 June Birth of John The Baptist

Post by John Ainslie »

Here's a little number from my library:
June 24.pdf
I leave you to point the psalm verses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Thank you so much for this - shall definitely use it if that is ok?
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

Fine. Offered for general use without let or hindrance.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Nicely crafted and nicely simple!
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Unfortunately our parish will be ignoring this feast, in terms of sung Mass readings, as it is a FHC Mass.
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

I was not aware that First Holy Communions affected the choice of readings.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

I was not aware that First Holy Communions affected the choice of readings.

Nor me. How peculiar.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Hare wrote:I like Bernadette Farrell's hymn-like setting but PP is fairly strict on sticking to the responsorial format...

In the past we've done Bernadette Farrell's setting (O God, you search me and you know me), but treated it as responsorial in format, using the last two lines of the last verse (For the wonder of who I am I praise you; safe in your hands all creation is made new) as the response in between the normal verses, sung in the choral arrangement that appears in the collection [i]Christ be our light[i]. Works nicely.
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Perhaps the PP in question should be informed that the Lectionary Psalm can be delivered in the direct manner (ie verses alones without response) or in the responsorial manner. Certainly this awareness might also obviate the necessity to carve up Bernadette Farrell's fine work. Indeed I am not sure that to use the lines 'for the wonder of who I am ...' works. The psalm text starts with an almost vulnerable, self-deprecatory attitude whereas that response comes from the end when the writer has found confidence in God and in him/herself.
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

HallamPhil wrote:I was not aware that First Holy Communions affected the choice of readings.

A First Communion Mass will have a significant focus on children - it will not be due all the concessions of a "Children's Mass" but, being a "Mass for adults in which children participate", paragraph 19 of the relevant directory specifies that:
DMC 19... wrote:Wherever the bishop permits, in addition to the adaptations
already provided in the Order of Mass, one or other of the particular adaptations
described later in the Directory may be employed in a Mass celebrated with adults
in which children also participate.

One such adaptation is:
DMC 43 wrote:If all the readings assigned to the day seem to be unsuited to the capacity
of the children, it is permissible to choose readings or a reading either from the
Lectionary for Mass or directly from the Bible, but taking into account the liturgical seasons.
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Thanks Fr Gareth ... I can't recall how unsuitable for children all the prescribed readings may be.
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

With such sentences as '... all you who fear God, this message is meant for you' at the end of 2R and the Gospel speaking of the child John growing up into a spirited person I think the readings might be quite appropriate after all. No one knows what marvels God will perform through those who receive first Communion on this day.

My earlier remark about creating a response out of Farrell's setting of Ps 138(9) O God you search me and you know me is now slightly diluted by my discovery that the Lectionary, IMHO, plays havoc with the progression through the psalm with the prescribed response!
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

HallamPhil wrote:My earlier remark about creating a response out of Farrell's setting of Ps 138(9) O God you search me and you know me is now slightly diluted by my discovery that the Lectionary, IMHO, plays havoc with the progression through the psalm with the prescribed response!

I don't know that it does. The wording of the response emphasises that this is a psalm brimming with confidence in God's love, rather than one cowering at the prospect of divine judgement.

We often read scripture in the light of what comes later; reading the passion narrative in the sure and certain hope of the resurrection is a more dramatic example than this one.
JW

Post by JW »

Haven't planned that far yet but have an eye on the setting on http://www.mikeanderson.net, and on the Psallite setting. The Anderson setting would be particularly apprpropriate in an FHC context.
JW