New Secretary to the Department for Christian Life and Worsh

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Re: New Secretary to the Department for Christian Life and W

Post by NorthernTenor »

alan29 wrote:Thanks for the links. The guy actually writes in the English of the new translation. That has cost me a £5 bet.

You may be able to save your fiver, Alan, by pointing out the double translation problem: I might be wrong, but it reads like a translation into English by an Italian journalist of notes on a talk given in Italian by a native English speaker. Granted that, the substance strikes me as more subtle, historically informed and interesting than many a lecture on the subject. Now, if he can combine this with administrative & management competence, things might just be looking up.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

I see from this report that Fr Gunter's term of office as a consultor for papal liturgies has come to an end.
JW

Post by JW »

All 5 former consultors for papal liturgies have been allowed to go at the end of their 5-year term.

I have to say that, whilst I disagree with Fr Gunter's views on washing the feet of women on Holy Thursday, I do hope that the new regime at the Vatican isn't going to start ditching everyone who disagrees with the current thinking of the Pope. There have to be disagreements and tensions in order to evaluate and discern what the Spirit is telling us. There also needs to be a clear-out in Vatican City of those who are incompetent or worse; not the same thing as dissension.

Note also the excommunication of Fr Greg Reynolds. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/australian-priest-first-to-be-excommunicated-by-pope-francis-1.1541165

As I've said before, it's not the Pope's words but his actions that will eventually count.

Perhaps Fr Gunter will now have more time to give to the Liturgy Office?
JW
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

JW wrote:Perhaps Fr Gunter will now have more time to give to the Liturgy Office?

With his teaching load at Sant' Anselmo, that does not seem likely.
Ian Coleman
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by Ian Coleman »

This new team looks to me to be a group of Italian technocrats, which suggests that the Holy Father has done what Jesuits tend to do with issues that are on the periphery of their main apostolate - entrust them to "safe pairs of hands". Personally I think it's a shame that Uwe Michael Lang is no longer involved (though I suspect it comes as a relief for him!) as I find him a person of genuine depth and scholarship. Still, at least Pope Francis has stated his approbation of his predecessor's liberation of the Extraordinary Form from its chains... (I'll run and hide quickly now!)
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Ian Coleman wrote:Still, at least Pope Francis has stated his approbation of his predecessor's liberation of the Extraordinary Form from its chains... (I'll run and hide quickly now!)

I think you mean the vetus ordo. :wink: