Preparing for Lent and Easter 2012

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Preparing for Lent and Easter 2012

Post by FrGareth »

So... the first Lent,Triduum and Eastertide of the new missal approach. After doing some planning today, a few ideas that might be worth sharing.

There are new responses in the Litany of Saints at Easter Vigil. When do we teach these to the congregation?

We are going to use the "Lord Have Mercy" from the Litany following PA1 or PA2 each Sunday in Lent.

We are going to use the "Lord we ask you, hear our prayer" as the response to the bidding prayers each Sunday in Lent.

Palm Sunday ideas

What Hosanna should we sing when gathering and the priest arrives? Why not excerpt the Hosanna phrase from whatever Holy Holy you are using in Lent?

The new missal is quite prescriptive about what must be sung when the procession arrives in church. Why not use the chorus of The King of Glory Comes together with the following verses which I hereby irrevocably release into the public domain:

(Refrain)

Enter Jerusalem, the city, most holy,
Greeted by waving palms of children, so lowly.

(Refrain)

Come now, acclaim our Saviour, seek his protection,
For in his saving death is our resurrection!

(Refrain)
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Re: Preparing for Lent and Easter 2012

Post by johnquinn39 »

FrGareth wrote:So... the first Lent,Triduum and Eastertide of the new missal approach. After doing some planning today, a few ideas that might be worth sharing.

What Hosanna should we sing when gathering and the priest arrives? Why not excerpt the Hosanna phrase from whatever Holy Holy you are using in Lent?

The new missal is quite prescriptive about what must be sung when the procession arrives in church. Why not use the chorus of The King of Glory Comes together with the following verses which I hereby irrevocably release into the public domain:

(Refrain)

Enter Jerusalem, the city, most holy,
Greeted by waving palms of children, so lowly.

(Refrain)

Come now, acclaim our Saviour, seek his protection,
For in his saving death is our resurrection!

(Refrain)

I'll certainly pass this idea on to the liturgy committee.

However, I suspect that we will stick with 'All glory praise and honour, to thee...'. (There will, of course, be someone who will be very upset about this because they have never heard it before, or it has nothing to do with Our Lady).
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Apologies if this is deemed "off-topic" but it seems to fit so rather than start yet another one.........

We have not replaced our old "Parish Mass Books" as there seems little pont when they wouod have to be "binned" when the new Lectionary comes in.

This leaves the problem of altered responses in the Triduum services. Redemptorist do a "Triduum Booklet" for £3 odd apiece. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative, or of anyone selling individual sheets for each day.....? (Redemptorist don't) :?:
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

If you buy new Parish Mass Books, they will have at least 5 and probably more years of life. We are not expecting the new Lectionary any earlier than that. I suggest you requip for now, which will give you everything else you need for the Triduum as well.
Hare

Post by Hare »

Southern Comfort wrote:If you buy new Parish Mass Books, they will have at least 5 and probably more years of life. We are not expecting the new Lectionary any earlier than that. I suggest you requip for now, which will give you everything else you need for the Triduum as well.

Thanks for this - Where on earth did I get the idea the new lectionary was coming in the next "Year A" ? :? :oops:
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

johnquinn39 wrote:I'll certainly pass this idea on to the liturgy committee.... (There will, of course, be someone who will be very upset about this because they have never heard it before...
If your parish liturgy committee is only just thinking about Holy Week, I think you already have the upper hand.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Hare wrote:This leaves the problem of altered responses in the Triduum services. Redemptorist do a "Triduum Booklet" for £3 odd apiece. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative, or of anyone selling individual sheets for each day.....? (Redemptorist don't) :?:
Which responses do you mean? Most that I can think of are sung anyway so you could simply include them on a service sheet. For the last few years we've produced one booklet for the whole Triduum – we used to have a separate sheet for each occasion but we wanted to stress that this was one celebration over three days.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Hare wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:If you buy new Parish Mass Books, they will have at least 5 and probably more years of life. We are not expecting the new Lectionary any earlier than that. I suggest you requip for now, which will give you everything else you need for the Triduum as well.

Thanks for this - Where on earth did I get the idea the new lectionary was coming in the next "Year A" ? :? :oops:

The Year A after that is the earliest possibility, it is thought. That's Advent 2017.
Hare

Post by Hare »

Nick Baty wrote:Which responses do you mean? Most that I can think of are sung anyway so you could simply include them on a service sheet. For the last few years we've produced one booklet for the whole Triduum – we used to have a separate sheet for each occasion but we wanted to stress that this was one celebration over three days.

I was thinking particularly of things like the Litany Of The Saints at the Vigil and the Showing Of The Cross on Good Friday.

Service sheets get very complicated as we don't have any copyright licenses, so have to put references to the mass book or the hymn book; some people understand the concept but some ignore the service sheet and rely on the mass book, others moan that not everything is on the service sheet. And I'm the one who has to prepare, print and often give out said sheets (* see below) as well as direct the music. And I'm getting sick of it - I admit I am looking for the easiest option!! :wink:

* We have welcomers at each weekend mass. At things like the Triduum and Christmas Midnight, neither of them wants to tread on the other's toes so no-one welcomes! :-@
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Sounds like you really should go for the licence. Calamus is pretty cheap.
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

Will there be a copy of the UK edition of Magnificat containing the entire Triduum, I wonder?
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

I just prepared for Lent by taking part in a Lutheran devotional work (you have seven days to listen to it). Good chaps the Lutherans (if not quite straight in certain matters).

ps sorry for the off-topic, but you know how it is on the way home from a concert!
Ian Williams
Alium Music
alan29

Post by alan29 »

NorthernTenor wrote:I just prepared for Lent by taking part in a Lutheran devotional work (you have seven days to listen to it). Good chaps the Lutherans (if not quite straight in certain matters).

ps sorry for the off-topic, but you know how it is on the way home from a concert!

I am fortunate enough to be singing in the Bach Matthew Passion on the Wednesday of Holy Week. I can't think of a better personal preparation - I think that might be Lutheran too. :wink:
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I find things I should know in terms of changes to the Mass during Lent?
I have not seen new gospel acclamations for Lent, and am not sure where to find them.
Peter

Post by Peter »

To the best of my knowledge, VML, the Gospel acclamations haven't changed and won't do until the new Lectionary is published, probably a few years hence. However, it has been pointed out in http://www.ssg.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1420#p19968 that some leeway is permissible in what you sing for a Gospel acclamation, even if others have advised not taking advantage of the leeway offered. I hope this helps.