Psalm Books - any uptake?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Psalm Project

Psalm Books - any uptake?

Post by Psalm Project »

Hi Folks
In all this banter of new settings etc... yes, I am waiting in the sidelines like many others (I assume) for approval - some are approved but not in the public arena as yet.
Remember my psalm books? As these setting are likely to remain for a while yet, I have several boxes of them (10 boxes - each containing 36 books) - there was a very good review in an edition of Music and Liturgy.
Is anyone interested in them? Realistically, I would be very happy to accept any reasonable offer for their uptake.
They were selling at €30 each - which was fine in the initial flurry of sales in December '09.
A proposal... I would be willing to offer five books for a total of €50 (Euro) plus postage to UK - I get a preferential postage rate for export. I can confirm what this amount is and post details to this forum.
They are hardback and extremely well produced. It pains me to see them lying idle - it was a huge project to bring them to final print.
I can facilitate PayPal through email for any interested parties.
If anyone is interested, please PM (private email) me.
My apologies if this seems like a advert for books! But, I need to decide what to do with them.
PP
JW

Re: Psalm Books - any uptake?

Post by JW »

I suspect one of the problems is the cost of tooling up for the new translations. In the past few months we've purchased copies of a Mass for all members of the music group, and we are going to order the new complete 'Laudate' for the congregation when published - no idea yet how that's going to be paid for. Several of our musicians have bought various other bits of music that we're using.

There isn't any money in the parish for new music. Our last quarter's heating bill took up 2 weeks worth of collections - and the parish collection has been continuously declining in real terms for about 30 years. I'd love to purchase new psalm settings and am keen to encourage new composers, I just cannot justify the expense in these difficult economic times. We already have and use copies of Psallite, Eugene Monaghan, Hymns Old & New; even so many of the psalms we use are off the Queen of Peace website in Singapore or Mike Anderson's site.

We are quite a wealthy parish compared to some and I suspect the money problem is even worse in the majority of parishes.

Psalm Project, I do hope you find a solution to this, and most important of all, keep on composing.
JW
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

FINAL offers....
I am willing to send books in single copies in padded jiffy envelopes... 15€ each TOTAL - that's for the book, post and packing. AND... I will permit any church or choir to copy as required from the single copy - I can't be fairer than that.
they are really good books - they work... you know the story already but I really DO need to not have them just lying idle in boxes.
Nick (Baty)... I don't have your email contact - PM me.
I can facilitate paypal through email.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

We started using these in September, and after half a dozen weeks, I've got no hesitation in saying that they are splendid. The responses are picked up well by the congregation and the choir is rising to the challenge of learning a new psalm tone every week (I don’t use a solo psalmist; the whole choir sings the verses in unison, but previously we just cycled through 4 chants), and of course the convenience of having a complete set of the Psalms in a single book (with a ribbon) speaks for itself. I really do recommend them.
Paul Hodgetts