Exsultet

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Exsultet

Post by VML »

Please can anyone point me to a downloadable copy of the new translation of the Exsultet, with the chant.
I know I saw one last year online, but I cannot open the php file that keeps arriving.
Thanks
Southern Comfort

Re: Exsultet

Post by Southern Comfort »

This is a downloadable PDF file. Is this the one you are having problems with?

http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openpdf.php?file=ExsultetLong.pdf
VML

Post by VML »

That is the one I am having trouble opening. I think someone here advised me before, but I can't work out how to open it now.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

If you have Adobe Acrobat reader (a recent version — perhaps that is the problem), you should be able to see the file in your web browser when you click on the link. Once you can see it, you can save it to your computer. I would send you the file myself, but if you can't read PDFs.....

Download a recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader from http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/. If you don't have Windows 7, click on the link to get the Reader best suited to the operating system you have.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Does anyone know if the McGuinness setting is being reworked?
VML

Post by VML »

Thanks SC,
Just dragged it into Adobe, and printed it. :D
JW

Post by JW »

Anyone know if trainee deacons are being taught to sing this as part of their formation? I have heard they are not in one diocese and am wondering if this is correct and what the situation is in other areas?
JW
JW

Post by JW »

http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/04/audio-recording-of-exultet.html

If anyone needs an audio file of the new Exultet translation, click the link above. Does anyone know of any others?
JW
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

I believe there is a shorter version of the chant Exsultet. Are there specific reasons for using this as opposed to the full version? (And I don't mean just shortened by omitting the bits that can only be sung by a priest/deacon)

Peter Jones mentioned in another thread an Exsultet with "Alleluias" in the refrain. If it's the one by Paul Inwood, our ex PP insisted we used it, but once had a right go at me (rightly so) for putting on "Let all mortal flesh" during Lent - me, like an idiot forgetting that there are Alleluias" in v.4 :oops:
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

Hare wrote:I believe there is a shorter version of the chant Exsultet. Are there specific reasons for using this as opposed to the full version?

The choice of long or short is in the Missal itself. Your priest's decision might be influenced by whether or not he sees his priesthood as Levitical or of the order of Melchizedeck (see letter to the Hebrews)..

Hare wrote:Peter Jones mentioned in another thread an Exsultet with "Alleluias" in the refrain. If it's the one by Paul Inwood, our ex PP insisted we used it, but once had a right go at me (rightly so) for putting on "Let all mortal flesh" during Lent - me, like an idiot forgetting that there are Alleluias" in v.4 :oops:

I think the Inwood was composed with a transposition of the order of the elements of the Vigil in mind - i.e. begin with the Word and then celebrate Light (so the Solemn Alleluia had already been sung). This adaptation of the rite was considered unsound by the Sacred Congregation and is effectively done away with in Paschalis Sollemnitatis (1988) (paragraph 81). This document insists on the correct order of Light, Word, Baptism, Eucharist, with our fast from Alleluia broken with its accompanying Psalm 117 before the Gospel. Alleluia as a refrain in the Exsultet is inappropriate. The first appearance of the word should be its solemn intonation after Romans 6:3-11.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
VML

Post by VML »

Am I imagining it or are there some parts of the new translation of the Exsultet that have changed in the chant even where the word phrase has not changed?
Who did it? And why? :( There must be a fair few priests and deacons who have become familiar with the old version, who are ready and willing to use the new words, find some words have not changed, go to sing it as before, and ...... :evil:
musicus

Post by musicus »

MODERATION
I have removed the posts that originally followed at this point, as the majority of them did little to advance the discussion and much to raise the temperature. In doing this I am also taking account of the various third-party PMs expressing their dissatisfaction. I regret that a few posts have been lost to 'collateral damage'.

Subsequent posts must be on-topic and concerned solely with the arguments at issue and not with those propounding them. Forum rule 1 will be strictly applied and, if necessary, formal warnings will follow. Three warnings constitute a permanent ban - as one former poster recently discovered - but temporary bans are an option at the moderators' discretion.

UPDATE (23.02.2012)
Following discussion about the precise point at which I split off this discussion, and upon reflection, I have now removed one additional post, because several of the ensuing comments were in direct response it. The author of those comments has argued that it would be unsatisfactory to let it stand unchallenged, and, on balance (but only just), I concede the point. It would have been better still, of course, if it had not been necessary to remove any of the posts.

Any comment on or discussion of this moderation will be deemed off-topic.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

I have often used the scroll idea when singing the exsultet although it can spread the same sense of impending gloom as the after-dinner speaker who arrives with a large wad of papers. The scroll practice might also be employed for the 2 Christmas season proclamations.

The rejected 1998 Missal contained a setting of the Exsultet using the plainsong but also inserting interpolations serving as Acclamations for the Assembly. Thus whenever the Cantor sang 'This is the night' the assembly responded 'This is our Passover feast'. I would hope to continue this practice with the revised translation.

PS Does the 'return of the bees' imply the adoption of a particular vestment for the singer of this proclamation?
VML

Post by VML »

PS Does the 'return of the bees' imply the adoption of a particular vestment for the singer of this proclamation?

Very fetching! :D
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

For those wondering what Phil is now talking about - and those, such as myself, feeling the pain of loss for my Exsultet scroll art-work - here it is again.

1 - Bees and keepers of same without much protective vesture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website