Exsultet

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Re: Exsultet

Post by Peter Jones »

Deacon proclaiming in song
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Still wondering why these Paschal Candles are conical rather than cylindrical
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

And if anyone wonders why some early Paschal Candle stands are so large, it's to do with the "column of fire".
Website
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Peter Jones wrote:Still wondering why these Paschal Candles are conical rather than cylindrical
Candles were made by repeatedly dipping the wick into hot wax.
Peter

Post by Peter »

HallamPhil wrote:PS Does the 'return of the bees' imply the adoption of a particular vestment for the singer of this proclamation?

From what little biology I did in school, I seem to recall that wax was made not by "mother bees" (i.e. queens) but by sterile worker bees. If that is indeed the case, while the new translation of the Exsultet adheres closely to the Latin it would appear to be at variance with the reality of candle manufacture. :? On the other hand, those biology lessons were a very long time ago and I'm willing to be proved wrong. :)
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Peter wrote: From what little biology I did in school, I seem to recall that wax was made not by "mother bees" (i.e. queens) but by sterile worker bees. If that is indeed the case, while the new translation of the Exsultet adheres closely to the Latin it would appear to be at variance with the reality of candle manufacture. :? On the other hand, those biology lessons were a very long time ago and I'm willing to be proved wrong. :)

Bees wax is indeed secreted from wax glands in the abdomens of sterile workers, especially those too young to begin foraging for nectar. Those composing the text in the 7th century were obviously not monks of Buckfast!
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Docmatic advised:
Bees wax is indeed secreted from wax glands in the abdomens of sterile workers,

Ah, thay haven't done that since Vatican II.
:lol:
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

In Old Gallican celebration, the form of the Exsultet is described as a contestatio. Neumatically challenged Deacons in Cumbria will no doubt implore the aid of Saint Bee to enter the contest.
Website
JW

Post by JW »

JW
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

What an amazing resource.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

It seems very slow and mournful, alas. Also, the pitch demonstrated is not one that most people will be able to manage comfortably. Being able to scroll through the music is a great bonus, though.

The one on the NPM website is even slower, but has the reciting note as A rather than C. Also has a PDF of the music which might be more useful for users.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

It may be that a slower pace makes it easier for someone to follow while learning, but yes, 10+ minutes, rather than our usual 6 or so.
AntoineDaniel
Parish / Diocese: St. Patrick Parish

Post by AntoineDaniel »

Video recordings and MP3's of the Exsultet at HIGHER and LOWER keys are here:

http://www.ccwatershed.org/exsultet/
St. Antoine Daniel, pray for us!
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

I have received a number of enquiries as to whether I was updating the simple chant version of the Exsultet that I wrote in the 1970s.

I have now completed the update for the new translation, and am willing to provide it as a workshop edition to anyone who wishes to PM me. It might be useful where the priest/deacon/cantor feels unable to render the ICEL version with adequate mastery. It is for the shorter version of the text only.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

I am now having face to face and telephone conversations with colleagues (bewildered, perplexed or in a mild panic) as to what to do with the Missal chant of the Exsultet. I am trying to reassure them that in an imminent ad clerum, help will be at hand.
Website