What are the people saying about the new translation?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Dom Perignon
Parish / Diocese: SSG Moderator

Re: What are the people saying about the new translation?

Post by Dom Perignon »

OK. That's enough. Let's go back to the topic. In my neck of the woods it seems to be going better than when the previous translation came in. Our PP took the trouble to make sure that every person at every Christmas Mass had a little booklet with the entire text in it and it was followed pretty well. I am also noticing a greater degree of concentration during the Eucharistic Prayer with the clergy making a real (and effective) effort to pray it with feeling, which seems to be rubbing off on the congregations. Maybe we are lucky around here!
Forum Moderator
musicus

Post by musicus »

Sorry, Dom - mea culpa.

People aren't saying much at all about the new translation in my particular neck of the woods (Worcestershire); they are just getting on with it.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Deke

Post by Deke »

My parish is muddling on. Although PP & I attended the training days no advance catechesis given and I wan't allowed to do anything in advance of September start. We still sing same old gloria and sanctus - when we do sing that is. There's been no attempt to learn anything new and PP ad libs rather than use words of new translation. People are using cards provided and are making an effort however with PP making things up as he goes along they're getting confused and I'm getting depressed!
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

How are people reacting to the orations? Are the meanings of these prayers (in proclamation) clear?
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Peter Jones wrote:How are people reacting to the orations? Are the meanings of these prayers (in proclamation) clear?

Sometimes yes, rather more often no. My impression is that the verbiage is generally going straight over people's heads, unless the priest makes a real attempt to turn it into some sort of prayer, so there is no reaction at all — the orations have become largely irrelevant already. And I have encountered two priests recently using the book of 1998 ICEL collects (Canterbury Press)..... :shock:
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Peter Jones wrote:How are people reacting to the orations? Are the meanings of these prayers (in proclamation) clear?

That's an interesting question. I wonder if they have ever been really listened to. I have often felt that they function rather like "repeat until ready bars."
For my part I have congratulated our PP after Mass when the "collects" have been particularly dense. It is quite an art to steer the meaning through those sub-clauses, and reach the end without the aid of an oxygen cylinder.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Southern Comfort wrote:

Sometimes yes, rather more often no......

I confess to finding one or two recent orations tongue-twistingly tortuous. Some of my colleagues comment that the prayers are beautiful - some cannot stand them at all. I have a feeling that some priests will begin to change word-order here and there, and leave out some of the "we pray", so that the prayers make more immediate sense.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

alan29 wrote: I wonder if they have ever been really listened to. I have often felt that they function rather like "repeat until ready bars."

I suspect you're right. 30 seconds after the collect etc are proclaimed I would not be able to tell you what was said. This was true in the old translation and remains so in the new.

This is obviously my fault for not listening, but I suspect conditioned by their long standing proclamation in a manner which does not demand attention. I've not noticed a change in the manner of proclamtion with the new translation.

I have heard no comments at all from people in the parish about the orations. I suspect they're mostly in the same boat as me.

In general the whole new translation has attracted very little comment. Certainly there has been no (even slightly) mutinous talk over the post-eucharistic beverage.
Eastern Promise

Post by Eastern Promise »

There was no chance of any munity. It was just the usual anti-Rome malcontents trying to stir it up. They haven't realised that things have changed since the Silly Sixties and the Church has moved on. Thank God!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Its not about mutiny or being anti Vatican. Its about expressing an opinion about the sheer quality of what is put before us. As you say, things have moved on.
Parish reverted to "And also with you" this morning, but quickly fell into dualistic line.
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

Eastern Promise wrote: ... things have changed since the Silly Sixties and the Church has moved on. Thank God!

I'm not sure if the Church has moved on. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Are we now in the silly 2010's?

Is the new translation the modern equivalent of the folk mass?

And the Missa de angelis the modern equivalent if the Israeli mass?
Eastern Promise

Post by Eastern Promise »

Weird
musicus

Post by musicus »

Back to the topic, please.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog