Mary, Mother of God

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Mary, Mother of God

Post by Nick Baty »

This year, the Sunday after Christmas is New Year's Day and, therefore, Mary, Mother of God rather than Holy Family. As we're the latest Mass in the area (11.45am) we're expecting a large turnout – there may be a few who've been dancing the Hokey Cokey until the early hours! Am struggling a bit for music. Perhaps still a few Christmas items but stressing Mary as the mother of Christ (or Jesus as son of Mary). Perhaps Anne Ward's Magnificat. Just wondering what others are planning.
Southern Comfort

Re: Mary, Mother of God

Post by Southern Comfort »

Peter Jones's Magnificat, and the Psallite Magnificat.
kerrezza
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by kerrezza »

Stephen Dean's Magnificat (178 in Decani's 'Cantate')
Peter

Post by Peter »

At the moment I still haven't finalised Advent, though nearly there: wondering whether to use "The Angel Gabriel" (Laudate 113) for Advent 4, pre-Christmas Night Mass carols or Mary, Mother of God. Last time that feast fell on Sunday we also used "Holy Virgin, by God’s decree" (366) and "Oh Mary, when our God chose you" (329). "What child is this?" (145) is another we've used on the equivalent Sunday even when it isn't 1st January and could be suitable here too. There are other hymns we've used on other Marian feasts that I'm considering for this time round but as they are listed in the M&L Liturgy Planner I fear I might be breaching SSG copyright on that compilation if I quoted them. :?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Don't worry too much about that, Peter. Fair use applies here.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

There is a setting of the communion antiphon in Laudate, number 1000
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Why not try 'Mother of God's living Word' (Laudate 349) as long as you let it go at a 'crumhorns and sackbuts' renaissance dance pace!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Nice idea. And some of our Christmas brass players do, indeed, play crumhorns and sakbuts. Would try getting them to come back for an extra gig – but, from my experience, brass players are not so good the morning after!