The Trouble with Communion Processionals and beyond…

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gedackt flute
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Re: The Trouble with Communion Processionals and beyond…

Post by Gedackt flute »

[quote="Peter Jones"] How are we ourselves approaching the musical aspects of the reception of Communion to the Dismissal?

This is what happens at the 10.00.

The first communion chant commences shortly after the priest has received. We (choir / music group) have been asked to do this in order to give time for the priest to annouce that those who are not receiving may come up for a blessing.

Basically, the first chant is the nearest to the comm. proper of the day -- this may be a choir alternating with congregation item such as Bob Hurd's 'As the deer', Bernadette Farrell's 'Unless a grain' or Fr. Mike Joncas' 'Eagles wings'. Sometimes, a choir-only item -- Elgar's 'Ave Verum' -- Farrant's Sacrum 'Convivium', or Bob Chilcott's 'God so loved the world'.

Then, as the choir process to receive, a short organ interlude which leads into the second song, which is usually more hymn-like and accompanied by the guitar. Sometimes, we sing two different versions of the same psalm -- 'Asthe deer' Hurd to Nystrom. There is then a little improvisation, leading to a silence. (Some clergy then lead the congregation in reciting 'O sacrament most holy').

After the dismissal the final song -- see previous posting.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Lots of shy people amongst the forum membership perhaps. Come on folks - let's have some more posts. This is not a thread to chastise those who are not following the documents. It's a thread to find out what happens at the moment. It's a thread to comment on the documents. It's a thread to discover what works well and what doesn't.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Choir receives Communion first, comes back and sings an anthem while the Congregation receive Communion. Then a Communion hymn (ie one relating to Communion).

Notices and dismissal are followed by Angelus and a final hymn, often Marian in Ordinary Time, appropriate to the time of year otherwise.
Paul Hodgetts
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Where I was organist previously a communion processional was started after the choir received (I tried changing this to choir receiving last and starting the singing as the celebrant received but logistically it didn't work). Usually this music was either a repetitive chant (a la Taize) or something with a brief refrain and verses sung by the choir, in the vein of the Hurd 'As the Deer' as mentioned earlier.

Once communion had been distributed and the celebrant sat down we would either have a hymn of praise or period of 'silence'. In practice this silence was very noisy due to the abundance of non-domesticated children.

During the exit procession there was an organ voluntary. I abolished the final hymn with surprisingly little complaint (though who knows what unvoiced disgruntlement there was).

Current practice where I am now (and only occasionally organist) is hymn during communion and recessional hymn.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Only another 331 members of the forum to post now :) Go on - take the plunge! It would be good to a have a healthy representative sample of current practice to analyse for the next-but-one edition of Music and Liturgy
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

At st Marie's we sing a communion processional (motet, refrain-verse piece or repeated chant (not a hymn) as folk went to communion. This would start immediately after the priest's communion. The choir would receive last and if necessary the song would be continued with just one singer (often me) till the choir was back. After a silence and when the priest was seated we would sing a thanksgiving song. We stopped singing a closing song (as a norm) several years ago. We do however occasionally sing something at the end eg Wait for the Lord in Advent, Walker's Send us out, O Lord or other Iona/multicultural chants. Then the organ strikes up. In the evening when the Grand piano is used instead of the organ, we are more likely to include this type of closing chant.

Our cathedral is closed for a year of building works and at our temporary venue (city centre anglican church) there are time constraints which mean that we sometimes have to omit the thanksgiving song in favour of silence. You have to cut your cloth accordingly, I suppose.

Using a closing song which is not a hymn does not keep folk in their pews. People sing as they leave! I once encountered a group of Africans walking home and 20 minutes later they were still sing the closing song ... it was African!

It is interesting to read responses here from churches where there is an organ. The organist will happily offer a voluntary at the end so people do not feel 'short-changed' but what happens in those churches where the musician either does not or cannot play a piece at the end? In Africa the song on the move would be quite natural but what might we do?
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

At the parish where I currently play the organ, around half of the choir are Eucharistic Ministers (including the stronger singers), so this makes life difficult for choir only items during communion.
The organist receives communion with the Eucharistic ministers (as the organ is on the Sanctuary).
Just before the Priest heads down to distribute communion to the congregation, we all (whole assembly) say the communion antiphon. I then improvise quietly for a few minutes while the choir (front 2 rows) receive communion.
We then start the communion hymn whilst everyone else receives.
Silence at the end of communion, then the Priest blesses those who are taking communion to the sick and housebound to "reassure them of God's love in this most holy sacrament".

Concluding prayer and blessing.
Corker of a final hymn and voluntary, except in Lent when the PP like to process out in silence.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Gedackt flute wrote:(Some clergy then lead the congregation in reciting 'O sacrament most holy').

IncenseTom wrote:Silence at the end of communion, then the Priest blesses those who are taking communion to the sick and housebound to "reassure them of God's love in this most holy sacrament".

....and technically, after Mass has ended:
contrabordun wrote:Notices and dismissal are followed by Angelus and a final hymn, often Marian in Ordinary Time, appropriate to the time of year otherwise.

Are such additions/extensions to the rites fairly commonplace? Why is there a feeling that they are needed, in some places?
Website
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

At my place, choir go up for Communion after servers (organ silent unless a lot of servers in which case brief improvisation); then choir anthem/motet (could be accompanied eg Elgar Ave Verum, could be plainsong unaccompanied either Latin or English, could be Taize, could be unacc hymn - all suitable to communion); if comunicants still going up, then a little organ improvisation, then SILENCE. After notices, blessing etc. final hymn (well sung generally) concluding with organ voluntary.
Future plan (after Christmas) - to sing communion antiphon to simple chant (Tone 2) FIRST before priest/deacon comes down steps to congregation.This will cover the gap while all the servers (generally several of varying ages) are lining up.
Would most definitely not want to lose final hymn.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Peter Jones wrote:Are such additions/extensions to the rites fairly commonplace? Why is there a feeling that they are needed, in some places?

At my church and most others I know, the notices are given out before the final blessing.

We don't normally make an issue of giving Communion to the Eucharistic Ministers to take out to the sick or housebound, though I have known in done, notably in my father's parish when I was caring for him in his final illness. When he was not well enough to attend Mass I would take him Communion and went up at the end of Mass to collect a pyx along with others doing a similar service. We were not "blessed" as such but formally given the Sacrament to take to the sick. While not strictly "needed", I felt it was a dignified gesture, making it clear that the sick were still a part of the parish community, sharing the same Sacrament the rest had received in the Mass.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Practice has been to have some sort of musical twiddle (occasionally a choir item) during the communion procession and then a Gospel-related song when most are back in their seats. However, as noted in The Trouble with Communion Processionals this is beginning to change. And, if we have a song during communion, we have silence thereafter.

We've always had some sort of recessional – usually a short item or just a couple of verses from a strophic hymn.

During Advent the PP will leave to a organ music but in Lent he leaves in silence which has a deliciously stark effect. In Eastertide the final ultimo is something short and joyous: Taizé's Surrexit Christus, for example.

On Marian feasts, the PP moves from the sanctuary to the Marian shrine (for the assembly this is just a turn to the left) and we belt out the parish anthem, Mary Immaculate, Star of the Morning. That's probably the only time we have a Marian item at Mass – Evening Prayer always ends with one.

As our club and and church share a porch, there's a great movement from one space to the other at the end of Mass – one of the choir always has to miss the final number to get behind the bar and another to serve the tea. I've often wondered if our final piece of music should be a processional to accompany this most enthusiastic movement from nave to bar. Any suggestions?
Gedackt flute

Post by Gedackt flute »

contrabordun wrote:
Notices and dismissal are followed by Angelus and a final hymn, often Marian in Ordinary Time, appropriate to the time of year otherwise.

This is interesting. Perhaps the most quoted (if not the only quoted) rule of liturgy that I have come accross is that: 'There has to be a hymn to Our Lady at every Mass, at communion'.

However, I have found no documentation on this.

Does anyone know where this rule comes from?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Suspect you're jesting GF.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Suspect you're jesting GF.

Hopefully.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

IncenseTom wrote:At the parish where I currently play the organ, around half of the choir are Eucharistic Ministers (including the stronger singers), so this makes life difficult for choir only items during communion.

Thats interesting. At ours we have had the custom that people don't exercise more than one ministry at a celebration. It used to be that it was one ministry within the parish, but as people get older, and numbers decline ..........
It ensured that a large chunk of the parish were actively involved it its life. Each group used to have a particular sunday when they were called up and given an appropriate blessing and applause from the assembly.
Sorry, I seem to have wandered off again - its my age, don't you know.