Out of the mouths of babes ...

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Out of the mouths of babes ...

Post by Nick Baty »

And I am greatly to blame for this.
Apologies. :oops:
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

Unlike many other blogs and forums concerning the liturgy, this one enjoys the patronage of a cardinal, five archbishops and five bishops. This forum reflects the public image of our Society. Carry on as above and there could be no episcopal patronage in future years and a deep decline in membership. Why bother to join an organisation that seemingly has laudable aims but tears itself apart publicly on the internet? This thread - and some others in the last two or three years - cause acute embarrassment. With Mary Rouse and Martin Barry, I promoted the Society yesterday at a workshop in Manchester. Browsing the forum before going to bed, I asked myself, why did I bother?
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

docmattc wrote:There was a time when this forum was a useful resource and support for ordinary parish musicians (while still making us all think). I fear the very people that the forum could best serve have been driven off by what its become.

Indeed.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Peter Jones wrote:Why bother to join an organisation that seemingly has laudable aims but tears itself apart publicly on the internet?
Perhaps it should be clear that this forum does not just welcome SSG members. There are others, like me, who are not members of the Society. I suppose it could become a members' only board but that would be sad.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Nick Baty wrote:I suppose it could become a members' only board but that would be sad.

I think that would be an excellent way forward. That non members of the Society have the effrontery to use a facility provided by the Society and in so doing, distort or undermine the aims of the Society by engaging in infantile squabbles, well, I think that's grave matter and reprehensible conduct. Non-members - go get your own blogs and fight there.
Website
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Agreed. But could we still read this one even if we can't contribute?
Despite all that's been said above, there is still much useful discussion.