What I did on my holidays

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can only refer you to my post to the notices section last week where I said that there is a problem, though it doesn't always happen. :?:
Currently I have no news, but I am working on it! :?
There are still one or two areas that netweaver have not sorted out. :cry:
Meanwhile, if an error message comes up, all I can advise is just check and see whether the post is posted before posting it again! 8)

All I can see is that it looks as if the same server is serving the websites as the database, so if the load gets at all heavy then the database transactions will suffer. :shock:

Please bear with me for now! :oops:
The Management
musicus

Posting errors

Post by musicus »

Thanks admin!

M
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Dot wrote:Were these settings true to the texts? If not, were you given the paraphrased words so you could join in? Do you think the reason for using well known tunes is to make the settings more accessible to all?

I have experienced similar settings in my parish, and found them singularly un-fascinating. I cannot tell what you really thought of your experience.

Dot

The words did not fit too well and I had a hard time suppressing giggles. As I was sitting very close to the front and in full view of the person who had chosen the music I had to behave. It was hard! He said we all knew the tune, sung the first couple of lines and said it would be fine. The first couple of lines were, it was nearer the end of each 'verse' that words did not quite fit on the first attempt. As the first attempt was also the last attempt, hence the desire to giggle.

BTW, this was not the usual Mass but a special once a year occasion. The 5.30pm Mass usually try and repel any attempts to introduce music but they did not have a choice on this occasion.

On a serious note, I have to say I am bewildered why we had to sing a Gloria to the tune of In An English Country Garden when there are so many Glorias out there - good, bad and indifferent. That kind of stunt is not my idea of cleverness.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Good: now I know what you meant by "fascinating"!
Dot

Post by Dot »

Strange error message on submission.

Why don't the anoraks who set up error messages and "support" sites use jargon that D.O.T.s and bears of little brain can understand?

Feeling playful, I'm setting good sports a little task to decipher a few holy words in Welsh. NB: Gwyn is not eligible to take part, nor anyone else with Welsh blood.

Eg 1.
Henffyych well, Fair, gyflawn o ras; y mae'r Arglwydd gyda thi; bendigedig wyt ti ymhlith merched, a bendigedig yw ffywyth dy groth di, Iesu. Sanctaidd Fair, Fam Duw, gweddia drosom ni, bechaduriaid, yr awr hon, ac yr awr ein hangau. Amen.
(One word, seen on public conveniences, is a dead giveaway)

Eg 2.
Yr Arglwydd a fo gyda chwi.
A chyda thithau.
Dyrchafwn ein calonnau.
Yr ydym wedi'u dyrchafu at yr Arglwydd.
Diolchwn i'r Arglwydd ein Duw.
Addas a chyfiawn ydyw.

Answers on an e-postcard please - public, not private messages.
Canonico

Post by Canonico »

Dot wrote: Answers on an e-postcard please - public, not private messages.

Don't ask me why I think this, because I don't know one word of Welsh, but I assume they are the Hail Mary and the opening dialogue of the Preface.
What's the prize, Dot? :wink:
Dot

Post by Dot »

Mmmmm....... I'm not saying yet. Right or wrong, does anyone have any different ideas? There will certainly be a prize for the most ludicrous translation.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Dot wrote:be a prize for the most ludicrous translation.

ICEL might win that then - ooops :roll:
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

ICEL might win that then - ooops

Never fear. Not only does Rome speak better English than the English, it also speaks better Welsh than the Welsh. Any imperfections of translation would be quickly ironed out.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Oh dear, now we're getting cynical.

You got them, canonico, straight down the middle. For your prize - a reading from the letter of St Paul to the Colossians, in Welsh of course. If you claim your prize within 14 days it will be PM'ed to you.
Vox Americana

Post by Vox Americana »

Dot wrote:Yr Arglwydd a fo gyda chwi.
A chyda thithau.
Dyrchafwn ein calonnau.
Yr ydym wedi'u dyrchafu at yr Arglwydd.
Diolchwn i'r Arglwydd ein Duw.
Addas a chyfiawn ydyw.

I know we're not well known in the US of A for inter-language communication skills, but this is obviously a poetic conversation with your dentist:

You gargle after you chew.
I’m chewing it now.
Dire chaff* is good for the colon.
You’re dim if you think dire chaff aids your gargle.
Done chewin? Then gargle and dew**.
At last: a chuffin’ dew!

* this is a literal translation. Dyrchafwn (=dire chaff) is a dialect word, and reference to edible fiber, roughage.
** another literal. Duw (=dew) refers to the reputedly excellent water which I read is shipped from Wales to keep the English from drying up. So here you can take it as some sort of hi-grade mouthrinse.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Vox Americana wrote:You gargle after you chew.
I’m chewing it now.
Dire chaff is good for the colon.
Done chewin? Then gargle and dew.

ROFLMAO !!! (Rolling on the floor, laughing my alb off)

Musicus
Canonico

Post by Canonico »

Dot wrote: You got them, canonico, straight down the middle. For your prize - a reading from the letter of St Paul to the Colossians, in Welsh of course. If you claim your prize within 14 days it will be PM'ed to you.

I claim my prize Dot!
Get typing bach!
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Vox Americana wrote:You gargle after you chew.
I’m chewing it now.
Dire chaff* is good for the colon.
Done chewin? Then gargle and dew**.

* this is a literal translation. Dyrchafwn (=dire chaff) is a dialect word, and reference to edible fiber, roughage.
** another literal. Duw (=dew) refers to the reputedly excellent water which I read is shipped from Wales to keep the English from drying up. So here you can take it as some sort of hi-grade mouthrinse.

Some of the early forum members will recall that one of the translations of 'Tsuyu' is 'dew', another being a rich (and expensive if Sainsbury's is anything to go by) sauce. And so I'd like to suggest an alternative to the last couple of lines of Vox's translation:

Done chewin? then gargle with sauce.
Alas: no chuffin' ketchup!

:lol:

TT
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

:lol: