The traddies and the trendies

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gedackt flute
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

The traddies and the trendies

Post by Gedackt flute »

Okay, name-calling is not allowed in Christianity, however, these terms seem to have emerged in recent years.

I suppose I am a 'trendy' -- I am for the new mass in English, I like the music of Haugen / Haas / Farrell / CCM (in addition to trad. & modern hymns / plainsong / polyphony). I am more at home in a church with no altar rails, where the Blessed Sacrament is in a seperate chapel. I am all for women priests , married priests, etc.

However, the trend at the moment is away from the above. Altar rails are being re-installed, and some dioceses (in the U.S. anyway) have banned altar girls, and the chalice for the laity.

The Tridentine mass (EF mass), is now more widely available.

These above trends are all done in the name of tradition. However, surely it flies in the face of tradition to reduce the no. of N.T. readings from 70 per cent to 17 per cent.

What, for example, could be more untraditional than having the tabernacle installed at the main altar?

I could go on, but won't bother.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: The traddies and the trendies

Post by docmattc »

Gedackt flute wrote:I could go on, but won't bother.

And I sincerely hope neither will anyone else.
Eastern Promise
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: The traddies and the trendies

Post by Eastern Promise »

You tell 'em Doc...