David Haas

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Re: David Haas

Post by musicus »

It was at my school.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Nick Baty wrote:Is custard cuttable?

Only on a personal level.

We regularly sing Now we remain, Blest are they and Who calls you by name - the latter an excellent piece for the Rite of Election. We've also sung The Guardian's Farewell, Haas's setting of the angel's final words from the Dream of Gerontius ("Softly and gently, dearly ransomed soul, in my most loving arms I now enfold thee...", if I've remembered it right). A simple choral setting, it's quite different from anything else of his. A lovely piece for funerals.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

I'd add "Take up your Cross" to the list too, and "We will Rise again"

The latter I played last at the funeral of a good friend earlier this year. The text (cf Isaiah) meant a great deal to her and is appropriate for funerals, healing services etc.

For those struggling with the accompaniments, don't feel the need to stick rigidly to what is written.
Eastern Promise
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by Eastern Promise »

Gedackt Flute is Eastern Promise.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Oh no he isn't.

Back to the topic please.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Calum Cille
Parish / Diocese: Earra-Ghaidheal s na h-Eileanan - Argyll and the Isles

Post by Calum Cille »

Gedackt flute wrote:Items such as this are heartily disliked by our trad. friends, so to me their dislike of David Haas, indicates that he must be writing good, prayerful, popular music.

So, if traddies don't like David Haas' music, it must be good, prayerful and popular. Furthermore, if traddies don't like thrash metal in church, it must be good, prayerful and popular. If traddies stop liking Gregorian chant (turning to newly-composed vernacular chant), does Gregorian chant inevitably become good, prayerful and popular on account of the dislike of the traddies? Might Gregorian chant even be bad, unprayerful and unpopular because traddies like it?

The question of the quality, prayerfulness and popularity of David Haas' music must be decided on surer grounds than the disapproval of traddies.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Is custard cuttable?

If you've never had to cut custard then you've had a charmed life.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gedackt flute
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Gedackt flute »

Calum Cille wrote:So, if traddies don't like David Haas' music, it must be good, prayerful and popular.

No. Not neccessarily. But in my view, what traddies don't like is usually a good indication of what is good, prayerful and popular.

I might add that what traddies like - bad latinate translations, banning communion wine & altar girls, installing altar rails etc. is a good indication of what isn't good, prayerful and popular.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

Gedackt flute wrote:
Calum Cille wrote:So, if traddies don't like David Haas' music, it must be good, prayerful and popular.

No. Not neccessarily. But in my view, what traddies don't like is usually a good indication of what is good, prayerful and popular.

I might add that what traddies like - bad latinate translations, banning communion wine & altar girls, installing altar rails etc. is a good indication of what isn't good, prayerful and popular.

It's no good attempting to reason with Gedackt flute, CC. However rational your points above (and they are), that's no more to the point of GF's comments than those of EP, I'm afraid.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Why do so many threads become nothing more than petty bickering?

What about "there are many rooms in my father's house"? To me that indicates all are welcome and sure to find a place where they fit in, feel at home. I would say where "all are welcome" but it sounds like a Marty Haugen piece!

Play nicely kiddies, play nicely.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

SOP wrote:To me that indicates all are welcome and sure to find a place where they fit in, feel at home. I would say where "all are welcome" but it sounds like a Marty Haugen piece!

Don't try and use it in the diocese of Madison, Wisconsin, where the bishop says all are not welcome. :( :?:

See http://www.madisoncatholicherald.org/bishopscolumns/2596-the-beauty-of-our-worship-in-the-liturgy.html
Calum Cille
Parish / Diocese: Earra-Ghaidheal s na h-Eileanan - Argyll and the Isles

Post by Calum Cille »

Gedackt flute wrote:Items such as this are heartily disliked by our trad. friends, so to me their dislike of David Haas, indicates that he must be writing good, prayerful, popular music.

Gedackt flute wrote:No. Not neccessarily. But in my view, what traddies don't like is usually a good indication of what is good, prayerful and popular.

Mercifully, that's that sorted out.

From the perspective of your argument, the remaining question would seem to be whether or not David Haas' repertoire is a usual case or an unusual case. It goes without saying that you're entitled to your personal assessment but, for some of us, the question of the quality, prayerfulness and popularity of David Haas' music must be decided on more sufficient grounds than your personal assessment of whether or not his repertoire is a usual or unusual case; to clarify, whether the case be usual or unusual is an irrelevance for some of us.
NorthernTenor wrote:It's no good attempting to reason with Gedackt flute, CC. However rational your points above (and they are), that's no more to the point of GF's comments than those of EP, I'm afraid.

Eliciting consistent argument from Gedackt flute isn't really my point here either though. The dialectic serves as a handy reminder of how the quality, prayerfulness or popularity of any musical repertoire is or is not to be assessed, depending on your viewpoint.
NorthernTenor

Post by NorthernTenor »

Southern Comfort wrote:
SOP wrote:To me that indicates all are welcome and sure to find a place where they fit in, feel at home. I would say where "all are welcome" but it sounds like a Marty Haugen piece!

Don't try and use it in the diocese of Madison, Wisconsin, where the bishop says all are not welcome. :( :?:

See http://www.madisoncatholicherald.org/bishopscolumns/2596-the-beauty-of-our-worship-in-the-liturgy.html

... the mirror image of the welcome laid on for traditionalists by the lay director of liturgy of a certain South Coast Diocese, Paul.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Sigh
NorthernTenor

Post by NorthernTenor »

SOP wrote:Sigh

Exactly my point, SOP. There are those here who think it acceptable to question the integrity and charity of "trads" while affecting the moral high ground themselves. I'm happy to observe this as I'm not a "trad" myself (or at least I don't think so, tho' sometimes the definition seems to cover anyone who dares to suggest tradition might be deeper and broader than conventional practice in a right-on British parish). I don't include you in that group, but it is irritating to be criticised for responding to the frequent calumnies of the likes of John and Paul by those who let them pass without comment; in fact, it's even more annoying than being criticised for pointing out failures of reason on a comment board!

In fact, it's even more annoying than the failure of the Acting Secretary of the [at this point your correspondent was carted off, reduced to a gibbering wreck by the insanity, incompetence and pettiness of it all ...]
Ian Williams
Alium Music