Holy Thoughts

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Holy Thoughts

Post by Merseysider »

Anyone recommend a good Sanctus?

Since we started in March, we've introduced Bernadette Farrell's Dm-ish Sanctus and Chris Walker's from Celtic Liturgy. The former is definitely the assembly's favourite.

Would like to get Paul Inwood's Coventry in the repertoire for bigger occasions – while I love it I find it a tad long for ordinary Sundays – don't know what anyone else thinks. Similarly, his Gathering Mass Sanctus.

Music for the Mass, Laudate etc are choc-full of Holys – but how many of them really take off, ingrain themselves in the subconscious so that with a brief organ intro everyone wants to sing them?

So I'm looking for suggestions.

Quite like Chris Walker's Clifton Simple – went down well in my last parish.

Have just written a new one myself and tried it with our choir ladies on Tuesday. They liked it but I'm in two minds. If I'm to choose my own over many others available am I saying it's better/more user-friendly?

So which Sanctuses (Holys) am I missing out on? Which really make your parish sung up and sing out?
excathedra

Re: Holy Thoughts

Post by excathedra »

Merseysider wrote:Anyone recommend a good Sanctus?

The SSG's own collection, Baptised With Fire, has four interesting Sanctus settings:

• Martin Barry's Spring Sanctus (good tune; matching acclamations)
• Frances Simmons', from her St Aidan's Mass (good tune; easy)
• Patrick Geary's Salsa Acclamations (Latin-American style; matching acclamations)
• my own Agincourt Acclamations (crunchy neo-medieval; matching acclamations)

Click here to hear them and the many other pieces of service music in the book

Alan
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

As you say, the Gathering Mass Sanctus and the Coventry Sanctus are longish for ordinary Sundays but as its the point in the Mass where we are one with the angels it may be worth going for it a bit! We use both the Gathering and the Coventry, the Gathering one guarantees loads of punter-in-the-pew participation - often with home-cooked harmonies as well.

The Papal Mass Sanctus (Alan Rees) is a good 'un for choir and assembly, the Agnus Dei from this setting is lick-off-the-plate delicious too.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Merseysider wrote:If I'm to choose my own over many others available am I saying it's better/more user-friendly?

No, I don't think you are. Let's face it, there are many, many settings available, more than any of us will ever know. We don't pick and choose music because it is better or on its user-friendliness. We might pick settings of the Mass texts which the assembly will sing; and we all know that there are a myriad of reasons that affect whether or not htey will take to a particular piece - just like your boys taking to the chant Agnus, unexpectedly.

When I write, I stick to what works for me, and with a knowledge of what my parish's tastes are. Sometimes they sing them well; other times they look blank; some work for the children in school, but not the head... That inside knowledge is something that the 'bigger' names, aiming for a commercial market don't have. As an example, some of the parish here really appreciate Jazz and others Big Band sounds. That's cool with me! So we have a set Blues' Scale Acclamations on piano, bass and clarinets (OK, that's not too big a big band!). Commercial? Probably not... But it works for some people here.

Also, when I write, it tends to expose *me*; my inner thoughts, my emotions, my prayers, my reactions to the texts are committed to paper. It can be unnerving to be that exposed to criticism and public gaze. I am part of this praying community, and some of them appreciate the honesty (though I suspect it goes over the heads of many!). So don't be afraid of choosing your own music - especially what you have just written. There is a good chance that it is right for your assembly simply because you are a part of it. And after all, as the psalms say in many places: Sing a new song to the Lord... That's as a good a reason as any to keep writing, keep choosing new stuff as any other is!

gwyn wrote:the Gathering Mass Sanctus and the Coventry Sanctus are longish for ordinary Sundays but as its the point in the Mass where we are one with the angels it may be worth going for it a bit!

Yes, both of these get people singing. I have a problem with Paul Inwood's Coventry text where it says, repeatedly, 'Heaven and earth are full'. Oh dear! Definitely no room at the inn then... But that's probably just me!

Also, remember what we're singing: it's an acclamation. Loud, eager and overwhelming. How many settings truly hit the mark there?
Benevenio.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Remember those?

Post by Gwyn »

It strikes me that the Sanctus settings that are most memorable are those that stick quite closely to the words in the missal (allowing for a bit of repetition).

There were some mass settings let loose on the worshipping public during the 70s that could only be described as criminal - A penitential rite, a Sanctus, a Memorial Acclamation and an Agnus all set to the same tune. I ask you! The tinkering that took place with the words in order to get them to fit the music was terrifying, I take comfort in the knowledge that they were writing dubious liturgical music and not designing airplanes. At least you can sort of survive a badly composed mass setting. :lol:
Merseysider

Re: Remember those?

Post by Merseysider »

Gwyn wrote:...I take comfort in the knowledge that they were writing dubious liturgical music and not designing airplanes. At least you can sort of survive a badly composed mass setting. :lol:

After a fashion. I'm currently helping out on the rare free evening at a parish which is trying to relaunch its music.

Great folks but they keep asking "Why can't we sing the Israeli Mass, that always get them going". I try to explain and this is met with: "But it's in the book so it must be official/allowed...."

Mr KM has a lot to answer for.
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

Two successful Sanctus settings I have used are Marty Haugen's "Santo", and James McMillan's from the "Mass of St Anne".