Dumbfounded and Disillusioned

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Psalm Project

Dumbfounded and Disillusioned

Post by Psalm Project »

Hi Folks
It's been a while since I posted anything here.
I've been pondering something which has been disturbing me (and possible others?) for quite some time...
The new texts - let me elaborate:
Most, I assume, have a decent (and hopefully intelligent) understanding of why the new texts are being introduced. They ARE coming in - indeed, they are presently being slowly 'drip-fed' to our congregations in my neck of the woods.
I've no doubt there are many (possibly 'ordinary' congregation members) who are questioning and will be questioning the rational... let's cut short the long story (this forum and other sources have already discussed the new texts in much detail)
At mass yesterday - (Good Lord, am I allowed say where?) - forget the where... suffice it to say I was there.
Rev. PP began homily by launching a broadside against the new 'translations' - what really got to me was his absolute dismissive attitude towards "those (clerics) in Rome who probably never even served in a parish" and their insistence on having these new translations. I would have loved if our Rev bishop had been there... or that I could have recorded it - It would make for a ripper of a YouTube upload!
"The people were never consulted"... the body language said it all - I observed some heads in the congregation shaking their heads as her 'proclaimed' HIS version of what the texts should be - which would be more in touch with what people could understand... He had a major problem with the Apostle's creed - the bit about 'He descended into Hell"...
Having served in music ministry for 35 years this year, I have to say that I am so fed up and disillusioned with all of the bickering about the texts.
What disturbs and concerns me most is the 50/50 split (guesstimate) of clergy who accept/reject the new texts.
Where does this leave the congregation? They are like the filling in a soggy sandwich!
I must say that it is raising serious question in my own mind as to where I fit in now... Do I want to belong to this institution?
I think it is Billy Connolly who said "What's it all mean"...
HELP someone... feedback... It's all becoming very tiring - maybe retirement is not looking so bad?
Do I really need to hear acrimony and disagreement from the pulpit? NO! I don't.
Incidentally, I brought all of this to the attention of the priest concerned... It was laughed off.
Sorry, Rev, but I need a little more intelligence in my liturgy!!!

Seriously, what are folks experiencing in their parishes at the present time?
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Re: Dumbfounded and Disillusioned

Post by Gwyn »

There's always been the element among clergy and laity alike who know better than the of the church.

Wheat and darnel springs to mind. (Matt 13: 24 . . .)

Stick with us P.P., the dust will settle.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

I feel it's healthy for us all to live with a sense of impermanence and fatality about our roles as liturgical musicians in particular places. Even when our clergy are supportive (as are those with whom I presently work), things can change.

That said, problems such as those you describe are seldom permanent either. I hope you feel able to hang in there, but understand that only you can make that call.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
musicus

Post by musicus »

Hello PP - it's good to welcome you back on here.

I suppose I ought to reflect at length and then give you a very considered response, but I get the feeling you'd like some more immediate feedback, so, here goes...

I suspect that your experience (which sounds horrible) is very much the exception. Last Sunday, I took part in our annual archdiocesan Mass for Parish Musicians in the cathedral. The words and the music were all 'new' and people already sounded at home and at ease with them. For example, "The Lord be with you", whether sung or said, seemed to elicit a unanimously correct reply each time. Talking with people afterwards, it seems that folk have received adequate and practical formation, both from their respective PPs and from the archdiocese (where we have delivered an extensive series of music workshops over the last few months). I recount all this, not to say 'We're OK, sorry to hear you're not', but rather to suggest that with just a little carefully planned formation of the people (by their PPs, mainly) and of the clergy (by the diocese), the stony path is fairly effectively smoothed. This is not to say that folk are unaware of the dirty work that has undoubtedly gone on at the curial crossroads, but that they are prepared to rise above that and give the new translation their best shot.

If your PP is prone to this kind of outburst, then you will know how much importance to attach to it. If he isn't, and this is an unexpected eruption, then I would guess that the necessary formation and training has not taken place. If it had, and he was still implacably opposed, he could have let off steam among his colleagues, rather than from the pulpit. And this would perhaps have been wise. After all, setting yourself against your bishop (the principle liturgist of the diocese) is unwise - there's a very nasty word for that.

I would recommend that you hang on in there for a while and see how things develop. For one thing, your PP may have second thoughts and offer a more reflective and pragmatic response next Sunday.

Meanwhile, there are people on this forum with experience of delivering workshops (see the "New Texts" threads at the top of the forum), and there is a wealth of decent new music in a wide range of styles already available. The resources are there if parishes, deaneries and dioceses need them.

(While I was drafting this, I see that Gwyn and NT have posted - and I am happy to agree with what they have to say too.)
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Hello PP, I along with others here, understand your disillusion.
I'll just tell you what our PP said yesterday.
He used the Gospel, with the two sons, one who said he would do but didn't, and the other who made excuses but ultimately did as asked.
Fr said the second one was his reaction, and that of many of his fellow priests when they began formation sessions for the New Translation.

They felt rebellious, and wondered what it was all about. But it has grown on them, and they have, mostly embraced the changes.
I pray that a similar acceptance may reach your parish very soon. Meanwhile, remembering what a massive work you have undertaken with your psalm project, I believe your parish and community need you and your experience.

There are, I know tensions in many parishes, and among musicians. I have more of it here in the last year than I ever thought possible , (not with our PP I hasten to add,) and it has cost me a great deal of lost sleep and stress. I've had to learn to let go in some areas, and be less ambitious about what is possible. Hang on in there, and hope and pray things improve.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I agree that the priest should not have used the pulpit to air his views.
And like you I see this unhappiness as being an almost inevitable outcome of the way they were imposed.
And like you I feel very ill-suited to the church at the moment.
I'm afraid I have no real suggestions to offer, beyond that offered by someone in our parish this last Sunday. "This is my community, these are my friends. When I have heard too many 'beseech yous and deigns' I just blot the words out."
Gedackt flute
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Gedackt flute »

Psalm Project wrote:
Seriously, what are folks experiencing in their parishes at the present time?

- At the parish I help out with, I think that the assistant priest is a little disappointed - he is very keen on the new translation, but not everyone shares his enthusiasm.

To be honest, there's not too much difference in the congregational parts and people might eventually become fluent with 'and with your spirit'.

There is always difficulty with change - at a previous parish I was at, some people were extremely uspet and angry at the introduction of the sung Alleluia and psalms.
Gedackt flute

Post by Gedackt flute »

VML wrote:There are, I know tensions in many parishes, and among musicians.

Yes, this is always going to be the case, I'm afraid. I really do not think that this is worth losing sleep over.

The Lord has come to save us, and will survive any musical setting, translation, or translation policy.
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

If my parish priest preached like that, I'd write to the Archbishop: not in outrage, but to assist His Grace in in the continuous formation of his clergy. Happily the last time I felt so moved was 6 priests and 2 bishops ago. His Grace wrote back thanking me for putting him in the picture.

In my business (IT), such an outburst would be termed "a career limiting move". The Church, being an infinitely compassionate employer, should consider it an opportunity for solemn reflection. In your position, I would be concerned that doing nothing might be misinterpreted as implicit approval.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

musicus wrote:If he isn't, and this is an unexpected eruption, then I would guess that the necessary formation and training has not taken place.
Or it has and he's made up his own mind.
dunstan wrote:If my parish priest preached like that, I'd write to the Archbishop
Might it be a tad kinder to mention it to your PP over a pint or a meal?
dunstan wrote:The Church, being an infinitely compassionate employer....
Is your tongue in your cheek here? :D
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

Nick Baty wrote:
musicus wrote:If he isn't, and this is an unexpected eruption, then I would guess that the necessary formation and training has not taken place.
Or it has and he's made up his own mind.

Oh, brilliant. Just brilliant.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
keitha

Post by keitha »

I am sorry to hear of Psalm Prelude's experience - please, please hang in there! I have no doubt that you are needed. I am appalled at the lack of obedience shown by certain 'rogue' clerics. Their job is very simple - they are to implement the new translation, provide proper catechesis about it, show obedience to their ordinaries and give a lead to their parishioners in so doing. If it were me, if something similar were to happen again, I would call the Vicar General and have a quiet word about it. In my experience, most VG's handle these things very well (unless the priest in question is the VG, in which case I would go to the ordinary. If that does not feel comfortable (and I can understand why it might not), maybe having a word with another priest who you know well would help? I do not think that I would do nothing.

I am fortunate to number many priests among my friends. All have implemented the changes with no adverse public comment and supplied appropriate catechesis. I strongly suspect that some of them do not like the new translation or parts of it, but none of them have given me any clues as to their individual views, and I have not asked about them.

Maybe we are lucky that the Pope gave such a clear lead a year ago about the new translation on his visit to England & Scotland. This has enabled the Bishops to take a clear and firm stance and the message has 'got through' to most priests. I have no sense of there being any significant problems anywhere that I have been.
Keith Ainsworth
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

I think what we might be overlooking - and do correct me if I'm wrong please PP - is that this outburst has taken place in Ireland - where there appears to be an organised resistance to an "all at once" implementation of the new translation by a group of clergy of substantial number.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

Peter,
Yes, this outburst has taken place at this side of the pond.
Yes, I am also aware of the 'group' of clergy who have voiced a strong opinion concerning the (non)-implementation of the new texts.
That group aside, however, there are many individual priests who have voiced very strong - almost militant - opposition to all that is happening at this time (texts)
It IS very disappointing... The 'ordinary' (everyone is extraordinary in my view) punter in the pew is, I believe, not being afforded the opportunity to embrace the new texts in a positive and enlightening way. My particular event last weekend is possibly not the only one but I cannot speak for other churches.
I attended the Irish Church Music Association summer school last July for a couple of days. All the new developments were promoted in a positive way. resources and materials were also made available.
It's just such a pity that some maverick types feel the pulpit is a good place to 'gob off' personal feelings like what I've mentioned without really engaging the brain first.
It is a bit like 'rabble-rousing' in effect. I'm fully sure there are people who may agree with his sentiments, however. There are those who feel 'if it 'aint broke, don't fix it'.
It was the disingenuous paint-brushing of those responsible in Rome... I don't know anymore. I've no idea who is in Rome. But the reality of the situation is that the texts are here - there are being implemented... end of story.
The outburst is akin to any priest saying don't sing latin-based music because the ordinary person in the pew does not understand it... Oh, I had that thrown at me too... I chose to zip my lips at that time.
I want to thank all of you for your words of encouragement. It is good to know a society such as SSG is there for feedback. Thanks. PP
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

Could I ask for some professional legal opinion about what is the law of the land here?

For example I know the law frowns on clergy using the pulpit to incite violence, especially of a racial or religious variety.

On the other hand the law upholds the right of free speech. If someone (anyone, not just a clergyman) gets up in the pulpit and says things certain people in the audience do not want to hear can they legally (under the law of the land - not church law) be made to shut up by the 'host' organisation (in this case the Catholic Church hierarchy).
T.E.Muir