A joyful celebration

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

A joyful celebration

Post by organist »

I offered to play for the funeral of a dear Catenian friend who was always so happy! Fortunately I met with the family and they had already chosen suitable hymns - All people that on earth, Soul of my saviour, Now thank we all our God. It seems David loved Stravinsky, Rachmaninov and Prokofiev which I love too but hardly suitable for an organ. It was also mentioned that he loved Mozart and Ode to Joy would make a good ending. I went to the church and found a one manual pipe organ with pedals. So played Mozart Exultate Jubilate, Ave verum, Laudate dominum, Jupiter symphony theme (from a piano book), Stravinsky Ave Maria and Rachmaninov Bogoridtse. Eine kleine nachtmusik. At the crematorium I played Vierne Berceuse and theme from Jupiter Holst.
Everyone said the music was just right so that was pleasing. I have since played the Mozart and Beethoven at church so I've extended my repertoire!