Published settings 2

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

pdsfd
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Re: Published settings 2

Post by pdsfd »

I like the revised version of Peter Jones' Coventry Gloria - initially I preferred the original but the new setting has grown on me more and more and this is now my preference.

However, a Gloria that I particularly like is the Psallite Mass Gloria from 'At the table of the Lord'. On the face of it it's quite a simple setting but when sung in a church, especially with organ accompaniment, it sounds and feels quite deep and powerful - despite the fact that there are only four different melodies across the whole thing. Is this completely new out of the box for the revised translation?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Re-reading this thread, I see that Hare's question about the Inwood G minor acclamations was never answered. These have been available on the Magnificat Music website as downloadable PDFs for some considerable time, and I gather that they received the requisite approval and are due to appear in the revised Celebration Hymnal from McCrimmon (coming fairly soon in the autumn, I am told).
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Southern Comfort wrote:Re-reading this thread, I see that Hare's question about the Inwood G minor acclamations was never answered. These have been available on the Magnificat Music website as downloadable PDFs for some considerable time, and I gather that they received the requisite approval and are due to appear in the revised Celebration Hymnal from McCrimmon (coming fairly soon in the autumn, I am told).

Very many thanks! :wink:
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Hare wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:Re-reading this thread, I see that Hare's question about the Inwood G minor acclamations was never answered. These have been available on the Magnificat Music website as downloadable PDFs for some considerable time, .

Very many thanks! :wink:

Er - Being thick......where on the site...? :?
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

Hare wrote:Er - Being thick......where on the site...? :?

Me thick too. I see only lots of Plymouth.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

pdsfd wrote:I like the revised version of Peter Jones' Coventry Gloria
Thank you.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

Okay, here's my 5 cents.

I am in the business of finding good Mass settings that the congregation I serve will sing.

The new version of James MacMillan's St. Anne's Mass seems to be working. This has permission.

However, if I introduce Dan Schutte's new Mass do I need permission?

Will the whole process just end up being ignored. (I was a Mass oop North a couple of weeks ago, and
the congregation sang, with great gusto, very loose paraphrases from the blue Kevin Mayhew book).
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

johnquinn39 wrote:However, if I introduce Dan Schutte's new Mass do I need permission?
From whom?
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

The PANEL, I suppose
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

If it's the correct text, and it's published by a mainstream publisher, it was have been approved by the Panel in the country of publication. So, no, you don't need permission.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

johnquinn39 wrote:The PANEL, I suppose

John, bless you but we already have had the most lengthy thread of all time on the topic of the Panel and how it seems to work and what it does. We have already had sight of Colin Mawby's video (I think on that thread.) Why start this again here? You know full well that settings produced by USA publishers and composers can be used here without seeking permission. (I almost think you are being deliberately obtuse.)

And if you are wondering why James MacMillan - as a Scot - needed Bishops of England and Wales Panel permission for publication - this is because his publisher is in England.
The only possibility - but I could be wrong - that has not been covered by ICEL and the various Panels throughout the world is that where a composer's publisher is situated in a non-English speaking country. I do not know the procedures to follow in such a case.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

To get back on topic - I know of a parish that has taken my Earlsbury Acclamations to heart - which I find surprising in that they are aimed at primary school children.
Website
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Peter Jones wrote:The only possibility - but I could be wrong - that has not been covered by ICEL and the various Panels throughout the world is that where a composer's publisher is situated in a non-English speaking country.
ICEL will not given permission without a certificate from a panel somewhere so, presumably, would direct that publisher back to one of the English-speaking panels.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Peter Jones wrote:
Hare wrote:Er - Being thick......where on the site...? :?

Me thick too. I see only lots of Plymouth.

That's odd. They have been there for months, and now they are not. I will try to find out what happened.