Sacramentary / Missal /lectionary

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Anne
Parish / Diocese: westminster

Sacramentary / Missal /lectionary

Post by Anne »

Today received an email from a friend which said:

'Do you know if they are changing the Sacramentary as well as the Missal? (ie the book of prayers used at the opening and closing of Mass.) I'm looking to buy a farewell gift for my Parish and our current one is held together with Duct tape. XxxX

I know that the Missal has all the readings in it. And I expect that the new Missals which the CTS are producing will have all the new prayers of the Mass. What else would a Sacramentary have other that all the prayers of the Mass? Will there be new Sacramentaries as well as new Missals or are they the same thing? And are they different from Lectionaries?

I am a bit embarassed to be asking such basic questions, but having never been an altar server, and being unfamiliar with Sacristies, and coming late in life to organising liturgies, I have not had the same advantages as most.

Hope someone can clarify things for me!
Thanks.
:oops:
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Sacramentary / Missal /lectionary

Post by Nick Baty »

I'm glad you admit to being befuddled – I am too.

As I understand it, the Sacramentary is the Missal, as used in the sanctuary, and contains everything except the readings – these are in the Lectionary. I think the confusion arises from us having personal Missals which include the readings.

When I was an altar server, I remember standing before the celebrant with a large heavy book – was that the Book of the Chair? And did this contain just some of the prayers? And were these doubled in the altar Missal?

And I am right in thinking that Liturgiam Authenticam (or some other recent doc) has instructed that there should be just one book in the sanctuary?
Calum Cille
Parish / Diocese: Earra-Ghaidheal s na h-Eileanan - Argyll and the Isles

Post by Calum Cille »

http://www.cts-online.org.uk/acatalog/ROMAN_MISSAL.html

The section beginning "Altar Missal" refers to your new Sacramentary.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Thanks for that CC. It also answers another of my queries:
The Bishops' Conference is not giving permission for a Book of the Chair (containing only prayers and antiphons, etc., and excluding the Order of Mass) to be published because it is not a genuine liturgical book in that there is no Latin editio typica.