Summer School

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Summer School

Post by oopsorganist »

Well I seem to be the first home, to congratulate SSG on another amazing yet totally different summer school. The custard was fantastic. Oh, and the Liturgies were fab too.

Well done for all the hard work of the organisers.
uh oh!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Summer School

Post by Nick Baty »

I'm sure we'd all like more details. What sort of custard?
Vox Americana

Post by Vox Americana »

Nick Baty wrote:What sort of custard?

The clue is surely in the SSG logo above: Bird's.
Vox
lesley wright

Post by lesley wright »

ALL the puddings were fantastic - and toasted teacakes for breakfast, with apricot jam, was almost as inspiring as the keynote talks. Echoing Oops' thanks to the organisers.
Lesley
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Adding my thanks and appreciation to the organisors for another good Summer School. Ditchingham is compact so there was very little dashing from one event to another.

Special thanks to Mary for all her hard work and I hope she is managing to get some rest.
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

This was our first Summer School after a seven year break and we enjoyed it very much. As Marty Haugen said, the sense of community was very strong and especially welcoming to newcomers (and returners!). The small team worked exceptionally hard in the face of some real difficulties and delivered a Summer School every bit as successful and enjoyable as usual.

Alan & Pauline Smith
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

It was a challenging week, but I coped. (I found asking for small portions did the trick.)

Seriously, another excellent Summer School. Congratulations to the speakers and the organisers.
Eastern Promise
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by Eastern Promise »

Yes, let me echo the enthusiasm. As a first time attendee, I was immensely inspired. Great speakers and great organisation, and isn't Marty a dish?
mcb

Post by mcb »

Out of interest, EP, did you get to Alan Griffiths's seminar on the Ambrosian Rite prefaces, or singing Palestrina from partbooks with Chris Walker?
Eastern Promise

I had thought about attending Alan's session mcb, but after witnessing the highly expert use of Ambrosian Rite prefaces at Clifton, Hallam and Salford I knew I would only have been disappointed. After having experience of the highest quality and best practice available, why settle for second best? Hmmm?
mcb

Post by mcb »

(It took you two days to think up that side-splitting riposte?)
Eastern Promise

Oh sorry mcb, I have been away - at a course on pastoral liturgy. I promise to be more prompt in my praise in future.
MaryR

Post by MaryR »

Eastern Promise

As one of the organisers of summer school, I'm very sorry that you are so dismissive of it without having experienced it. That is, I'm assuming that you weren't actually there as all the evaluations I've received have been very positive and encouraging.

If we are getting it all so wrong then, instead of taking a swipe at us - at me personally, it feels like after all the effort I put into getting the event off the ground - why not be constructive? My telephone number is 07540 532785. Ring me and let me know what you think we should be doing. Tell me what you are doing on the ground in parishes to improve music and liturgy, and perhaps SSG can learn something from you. It's very easy to knock people; I'd have more respect for you if you provided some constructive criticism and suggestions to help us.

I hope to hear from you.
Mary
Eastern Promise

Dear Mary,

You have misunderstood, clearly! Remember what I said about the summer school;

"Yes, let me echo the enthusiasm. As a first time attendee, I was immensely inspired. Great speakers and great organisation, and isn't Marty a dish?"

I hope that clears things up. EP
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

May we hear more, EP, about the pastoral liturgy course you went on straight from the SSG Summer School. When? Where? I'm your sure experiences there would be of interest – especially as, going from one to the next, you're in a position to make a comparison.